In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Python

TwosocksTwosocks Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
How can you tell a nickle finish from an ultimate stainless finish? The bluebook lists both and I don't know which one I have. Also how can you tell the year it was made by the serial no.? Does the serial no. give any other info about the gun?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone help me out with some pointers on changing the barrel on a Colt Python ? Is it a right or left hand thread ? Is the barrel pinned ? Is it recomended to remove the cylander and crane before starting the job ? Any help would be greatly appreciated , Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have my fathers nickel plated Colt Python .357. He bought it in '64 or '65, and he asked me how much I would be willing to pay for it. I just told him that I would wait and inherit it from him after he was gone. However that got me to wondering, how much would this pistol be worth. Does anyone have any idea, or know of a site I can go to to find out. I don't have the serial number with me, but I can get it tonight and post it if that will be any help. BTW he only paid $60.00 for it back then.

Thanks for the help
    Perrogrande
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 4in.nickel Python, and would like to know if it is an early model, late model, or whatever.What features can I look at and tell?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello, My friend has a Blue 6" Colt Python. It is in great to excellent shape. It was carried as a duty gun in the 60's by a Policeman in a small town in the Midwest. The serial # is 154, yes that's not a misprint it is "154". I know Colt prices are crazy, but I was just wondering roughly what it is worth.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Buddies6
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have A Python Needs TLC (some metal work & Reblued (royal)
    Do not want to sent to Colt (had a SAA done)
    Any Help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was interested in getting a .357 Colt Python. Why are they so much more money than the S&W 28-1 Highway Patrolman I already own? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a Colt Python 8" Target 38 Spc. what that is really odd about this gun is the finish, it appears like it is Stainless steel. I have seen Colt Guard or Electroless Nickel Finish, and this gun doesn't appear to be the Satin Nickel. I have ordered a Colt letter from Colt on this unique gun. The Blue book only show Blue and Brite Nickel finish on Python Target. Does anyone have any knowledge on these Python Targets?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can you tell when a Python was made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,

I just came across a colt python with the serial number #V08XXX. Is there anyone who would know what year it was made. Thanks in advance.
    Bk
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still trying to get idas on the worth of this pistol i have. 1976 Colt Python one owner other than me. Bought it at an auction, the previous owner was a police officer {retired now}, so she is spotless. Could use any info yall can give me.
    Ginny
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got a colt python 357 w/4" barrel from my father in law yesterday. Serial #E9316. Does anybody have any info for me on this gun? Year made, performance, etc?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just returned from auction and am wondering if there is
    a web site that lists the serial numbers for these pythons.
    would like to verify the year of manufacture.

thanks

rick
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need information on a Colt Python 6" Nickel Serial K37781 new in box never fired with all paper work and box. Date of Manufacture, value, ect. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to get an idea of the value for my Colt Python. It is blue finish with six inch barrel. It is in very good condition with maybe five boxes of ammunition fired through.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking to see aproxamately how much my colt is worth.
    colt python, royal blue, 8" barrel, hasn't been used much
    no. VA7185
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have wanted a colt python for a long time and now I am ready to buy. What year model should I look for (i heard that certain years were not as good as others)and where should I go to buy one.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes i have question about a python,I have a chance to buy one at good price,I think.It will fire just fine when you shoot it as a double action,But when you pull the hammer back as a single action, The hammer will fall,It will NOT lock back.is this a promblem or what.If this is a promblem,what should it cost to get fixed.

Thank's for any information
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an opportunity to buy a nickel Python 2 1/2" in original box 1968 with no letter in the serial number, pristine condition, kept in safe since bought, not fired since factory for around $6K. I am new to collecting and don't want to be stupid. Is this a deal or should I pass on it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi All, This may sound dumb but can anyone give me info on a COLT PYTHON TARGET .38 Spec. Nobody seems to know anything about this item. It is in near new condition (99%),7"bbl and a target hammer. Would like any information on this piece I can get, ie:date of manufacture, value,and the purpose of the caliber vs the .357 ?? It is the first time I have heard of a python chambered soley for .38Spc.
    Thanks Beejay
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a 6" Python and Im trying to fin the date of manufacture, Serial number is K39463, Can any of you guys help me?

thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a chance to buy a python from a friend.

It has the serial # K687xx,a bright nickel finish,wood grips,6inch barrel,and the original box.

It has some muzzle wear and some powder residue or powder burn on the front of the cylinder.The rest of the gun is in excellent shape and the action is smooth.

The questions i have are:
    Does the bright nickel finish add or subtract from the value?

What is the born on date?

Can i expect to have any luck scrubbing the powder residue and or burn off of the cylinder?If so,what cleaner would be best to use?The current owner is afraid of damaging the finish and will not scrub on it.

What would be a fair price?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello all, got a rust problem and need some advice/help. I recently aquired a nice colt python and it has some slight rust on it's royal blue finish. Im not sure what to do about removing the rust without damaging or removing the blueing. I have never had a revolver with a royal blue finish so Im kind of stuck on what to do. Also it seems to have some marks in the blueing of what looks to be some excess gun oil/greese that soaked into the finish, I tried rubbing it out gently with a fine cloth but its still there, and again i dont want to buff it to hard as to damage the finish. Any advice? Thank you all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What would you guys set as a value for a v prefix, with 4" blued barrel with some light rust on the bottom of the barrel and the tube under the barrel. it also has some holster wear. It does not have wood grips, it has rubber grips. It also comes with a leather holster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am original owner of a Colt Python 8" barrel E Nickel finish, SN K54715, never fired except for 3 factory test rounds. Have the original box albeit a little beat up. Purchased sometime in the 70's. Couldn't afford the ammo to shoot it then and certainly can't afford the ammo now. I have seen one similar for sale except it was listed as used @ $4,195. Am a little shocked, is this a realistic value for this gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired a very nice blued 4" python and I'm wondering about it's dom. The serial # is f766xx. Are there any Colt experts out there that can help me out? Thanks alot for your replies. Kix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What value would you put on a mid 60's 8" Colt Python with the original box and all paperwork? The pistol has less than 30 rounds through it. It is in excellent condition. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if late model Colt Pythons were originally shipped in the blue plastic Colt box?
    Thanks for any information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Howdy, I have purchased a beautiful Coly Python .357 magnum revolver from a friend. This piece has never been fired, other than at the factory. It has a nickle finish and a 4" barrel. The serial # is K65534. My friends mom bought this pistol for his now deceased father back in the early 80's. What is this piece worth and when was it made? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know or has anyone ever see a Python cylinder free wheel like a old colt with a loading gate? The cylinder will spin free but when you cock it for a SA pull it locks tight or if you put it between chambers on a DA pull it will line up and lock while pulling the trigger. For all intensvie purposes the cylinder does what its suppose to except it free wheels. I am not to informed on the Python but I am pretty gun savie but I have never seen a modern gun do that. Is it possible someone had a GS do some kind of custom work on it or is it broke??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry my english is poor.I have a Colt Python Elite .357Mg, 6" barrel,Royal Blue and the serial number is PEO1449, now i need know year of production(in factory)and how many cost because i have a very interestin people.Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Big mango:thank you for your answer,but please tell me year of production.speak spanish?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a question for the Colt guru's out there.

My 1977 Colt Python (6" barrel in Nickel finish) has a gold trigger and hammer. I have seen other nickel finish pythons without the gold finish on the trigger and hammer.

Is this unusual?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Python polished SS with a 8" barrel. The gun is NIB. all paper work, carrying case, the cylinder has never been rotated. I bought the gun in 1993. gun serial number is PY3985 My question is, what's it worth? Thanks, I appreciate any help...[:D]
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Mark is dead on when it comes to price, and when it comes to the blued vs. the nickle plated ones. The Colt Royal Blue Python is much more desireable than the nickle plated ones. I prefer the blued ones myself. I usually pass on nickle ones when it comes to acquiring one. Now this is not to say your gun is not desireable, it just has a smaller niche in the market.

BTW, nice looking Python, Mark.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    As the owner of a LNIB blued 1962 6" Python, I must agree with Mark 110%.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Hey, no offense intended, but why are you guys keeping your pythons new in the box? Aren't they meant for shooting, or are they "too good" for that?

Also, are these guns still in production? Do they come in stainless? How do they stack up against the comparable S&W magnum?

Thanks!

They are still in production but are quite expensive new. They are built only in the custom shop.

I DO shoot mine and it is a great gun to shoot!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    SigarilloSigarillo Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just found the most beautiful 6" Crome Python you have ever seen. It is at least 98% because I assume to be 100% it would have to be unfired??? Has Pachmeyer presentation grips. Serial number is 334**E -- can anyone give me a birthing date and an estimate of what it might be worth?[8D]
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 3" blue in the box and never fired outside of the factory that is, only regret is I wish it was royal blue. I have 5 pythons and only 1 is stainless, Mark is right blue is the color of choice.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM Shriner Life Member
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Beantown- I have a Python, blue, 8". It's not particularly concealable, but since it's primarily a target revolver, that's not an issue. The comparable S&W is the L frames. I have no experience with them. When I carried a 357 for work, I had a M66. The Smith was very workmanlike, and I don't have any real objections with it, but it just didn't have the look and feel or the Colt. the ython seems more an extension of my hand, so I tend to be more accurate with it, but then someone with different sized hands could say the same thing about K or L frames. I've heard the finish on the new Pythons doesn't compare to the old, but I've seen no proof of that claim.