In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

forcing cone

deer_sniperdeer_sniper Member Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
How does this work?What is polishing the forcing cone..special tools required?How does it improve pattern(does teh barrel have to be re proofed after this procedure.

Brian

"Meine Ehre heisst Treue"

Comments

• OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deersniper, the forcing cone is that section of a shotgun barrel immediately forward of the chamber. It is conical in section as it reduces the barrel I.D. from the chamber diameter to the bore diameter. For example, the bore diameter of a 12 gauge gun is .729 inches nominal. The chamber is larger so it can accept the shell, some 50 thousandths or so, as a guess. A polishing operation would not remove much metal, so in my view, nothing else would be required.It is supposed to help the pattern by reducing the damage to the outer pellets in the shot column. With today's shot cups, I think that any improvement would be slight.
    Good luck,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]

"Disperse you Rebels; Damn you,throw down your arms and disperse!"
    British Major John Pitcairn, April 19, 1775. He fell at Bunker Hill two months later.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with OleDuk, that you would acheive little impovement in pattern from polishing the forcing cone. Improvement might be acheived by lengthening the forcing cone, but if your shotgun patterns well enough as is, I would not bother.