In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Combat Commander

notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt Combat Commander, in 9mm caliber, and I am trying to figure out what series it is. The Bluebook only has a listing for an 80 series gun. But, from what I have seen on a few of the gunsites this gun was also made in a series 70. The serial no. is: 70BS65XXX.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Or, if someone knows of a website that would give me the info I am seeking. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I would appreciate your help in pricing a Colt Combat Commander .45 in Satin Nickel finish that I would like to sell. (SN: 70SC822XX)

I am the origninal owner and only fired about one box of ammo through it. I did have a gunsmith smooth the feed ramp, and put on white outline sights. It has black Pachmayer rubber grips, but I still have the original checkered wood ones. I would say that the condition is over 90%. Some minor scuff marks and light holster wear.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HI, COULD YOU TELL ME IF MY COMMANDER IS THE FIRST PRODUCTION YEAR FOR THE SATIN NICKEL FINISH I'M THINKING 1970, AND WOULD THE TWO PIECE WOOD GRAIN BOX BE CORRECT ? S.N. 70SC5572 THANKS , ARTIE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is $1000 a fair price for a new colt combat commander I thought this was high but the gun shops I have checked with have been at least that high. The suggested retail is only like $975.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired a combat commander and want to know the date of mfg. Serial number is 70BS24359. It is a series 70 obviously, in blue. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number is 70SC3462.
    I've looked at the serial number info and come up with a manufacture date of 1913? Is that correct?
    Thanks for your help!
    thequeenofthe-bay
    Suzanne
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is a nickel stain Colt Combat Commander worth if NIB with all the paperwork including correct box?
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be easy enough to find out.

With an empty magazine in place, pull the slide back untill it locks open. Look in the rear right underside of the slide. If you find a small spring loaded button, it is a series 80. If not, then is a series 70.
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    70 Series refers to the collet type barrel bushing in the full size colt 1911.It was brouht out to enhance accuracy.
    The Commanders never had this type of bushing.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are also "pre-70" combat commanders; they have the solid barrel bushing just like the government model.

Neal
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Your Combat Commander was made in 1978, and yes, it's a Series 70.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who responded. Information was very helpful.[:D]