In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Liberty Gun Safe Mechanical dial or electronic

gaeducatorgaeducator Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am purchasing a Liberty Lincoln Gun safe. I was thinking about getting the electronic lock , but I am unsure about which would better. The dealer told me that most guys like the mechanical lock. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I am no expert on safes but recently chose a Sentry about 200 miles from here for reasons of cost and shipping. It is a mechanical lock but I've seen the electronic locks and cringed. Mine is a firesafe and I am no electrician either but know that insulation melts and electronics don't fare well under extreme temperatures. My choice will always be mechanical for these reasons.

I am a fairly accomplished machinist, and trust over electronically controlled apparatus, mechanically controlled. It may be the difference between finding a locksmith to open your safe over that of finding a safecracker, in my humble opinion, at least.

When in doubt, go for no batteries as batteries may not be available when you need them most. IMHO, anyhows.

"You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a couple hours or douse him with fuel oil and keep him warm the rest of his life"
  • hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Blckhrn. Mechanical would be the way to go IMHO. For the same reasons he has noted. I am an electrician and I will tell you that electronics are not as fail safe as mechanics.

KungFu.gif
    Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The down side to mechanical locks is getting support. My S&G combo lock failed to open and my nearest S&G qualified smithy was a 3 hour drive away. He says to "bring it in" which is just about beyond doing as the safe and contents exceed 1200lbs.
    A call to S&G only get you a list of authorized smiths and zero support as their lawyers won't let them even talk to you.
    Just for info S&G says you need to have the lock serviced anually for best results. Now I'm sure I can afford that only if I got to locksmith school and get certified by S&G.
    Guess I should move back to the big city

Smoky the perplexed[xx(]

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.
  • 2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote electronic. have had one for two years now, no problems. Punch in 6 numbers, turn handle, safe opens.

Thats my experience with electronic safe locks.

If you have young eyes, take your pick, dim light and visually challenged should use electronic lock.

My 2 cents.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being in the IT business I know and accept the fact that all things electronic will fail, and of course mechcanical things will also sooner or later.

I have a S&G mechanical on my safe for the past 3 years with no issues. May not be as fast as a electoric but I feel mechanical are more reliable. Also the number pad on a electronic can wear out after time.