In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best semi-308

prairiedoghunterprairiedoghunter Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
Any thoughts on which current production semi automatic rifles chamber in 7.62 NATO are the best in reliablity, accuracy and bang for the buck???

Thanks,
PDH

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about an M14 in .308?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Military or hunting style rifle? For miltype I like the HK and FAL platforms. DPMS make a better quality FAL. I'd not go with any of the HK knock off kit built guns. For hunting style I'd say Browning BAR would be a superb choice.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M1A hands down.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    m1a. They make another .308?
  • Options
    tetoncountytetoncounty Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've owned m1a and fal. both reliable. m1a has by far the best trigger, but neither takes a scope well. bought a bushmaster bar .308, ar-15 platform with ambi controls and fal mags (i'm left handed). very accurate. bolt broke after 500 rounds. bushmaster has had it for over a week, haven't heard from them.
  • Options
    vepr762vepr762 Member Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the opportunity to shoot a Bushmaster .308 and was very impressed with the accuracy, design, and the known availability of magazines. I only shot one magazine, but had a "perma-grin" for a while afterwards.[:D]
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Browning BAR and Benelli R1 both are very nice semi auto rifles for hunting. For military type you cant go wrong with the better HK and FAL knockoffs, the Century guns seem to be hit or miss sometimes so stay clear. JDL makes a good HK copy. But there is always the springfield M1a and AR10 from Armalite. I like the Hk because it does not use a gas system so there is no worry about it getting fouled up unlike the FAL, M1a, and AR10. Scope mounts arent that hard to get for it. But for hunting the Browning or Benelli would be best suited I would think, with my preferance leaning toward Browning. i have a BAR in 30-06 and it is great.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Fulton Armory M1A, Peerless. The best balance, trigger, barrel reliablity I've ever seen. There hasn't been one person who has shot it that wanted to give it back me.

NRA life member, instructor and coach.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The H&K SL-7 is a fine rifle. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HK-91 w/ PSG-1 trigger assembly and Browning BAR w/ BOSS.