In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A1 Carbine - Paratrooper

edro13edro13 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
These seem to be hard to find, but I would love to add this piece to my WWII collection.

I found a perfect example of what I want online @: http://www.band-of-brothers.nl/artikel/gea_gea_carbine.asp?lan=us

How much can I expect to pay for one of these, in decent condition? I would like it to be as all original as possible, but it doesn't have to be in great shape (dings and all that are fine).

I see that there were only 140,000 made, and at all the gun shows I have been to, I have only seen a handful.

Would $1000 be naive on my part? More around $1500?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    edro,
    I the last several years of my goin' to gun shows,I've only seen two of these.The first was about a year ago. It was the real thing(I say that because I have a Universal Paratrooper that's NOT the real thing[:(]),in maybe 60% condition and the guy was asking $3200.
    The second was on the 19th of this month,same show,different guy and a different gun. It was in about the same shape and he wanted $3500.

Now I don't know much about these,or their real value,but it looks like you might be gettin' your hopes up a bit.[;)]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a fair amount about M1 carbines, but I find M1A1's still scare me; they are a subspecialty of collecting because there are so many tiny variations & markings that make identification difficult for all but the experienced collector. And, when you consider the high prices, a mistake can be costly.

I've seen probably 15-20 offered at gun shows & Internet auctions over the last few years, but, with one or 2 exceptions, all were fakes or restorations. So, it is easy to get fleeced out there.

I believe that a righteous arsenal rebuild will cost $1,500-2,000. An original one will go for $3,000 & up.

If I were in the market for one, & wasn't an expert, I'd only consider buying one from Scott Duff, whose knowledge & integrity are acknowledged throughout the collecting community. I might even email him & ask him to try & find one for me. Check out his website.

Neal
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume you want an authentic specimen, but if not....you could buy a carbine and a folding stock and assemble your own. I'd venture to say that's how most of the current ones came to be!
    I'm not a purist, so I don't see a problem with it, as long as you're not trying to pass it off as original.