In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions on Walther P-1

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
This past weekend I acquired a Walther P-1 through SOG. It is in great shape and I was wondering if there is any way to determine the date it was manufactured? Is there anyway to decode the meaning of the markings?

On the left slide is 11/79 followed by what looks like the type of four pointed star or cardinal points one might find on a map.
On the trigger guard, same side, is a serial number followed by Bw.

On several locations is a box with some type of marking in it. Even with a magnifying glass I couldn't make out what was in the tiny box other than maybe the number 3.

I thought that the 11/79 might mean November 1979. However, the target supplied with the pistol reads "Datum: 11, Juli 1995. (How about a group of 3 inches at 25 meters? Not bad).

In addition, on the opposite side of the target is a category that reads St. Wendel, den 13. 7. 95

I have a German student I will try to get to translate the rest.

Finally, what type of ammo would you all recommend for this pistol? Is there any you would stay away from? Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I already have a manual for this pistol and plan to visit some P-1/P-38 websites but with my schedule it may be a while before I have time to do this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    November '79 is the date of manufacture.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P3skyking: Thanks, that helps me decode this deal. The gun still
    looks brand new although the holster is definitely well worn.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    The reason the holster is worn, and the gun is not, is the holster didn't go with that gun. They aquired them separately. p3skyking is correct about the date of manufacture, so obviously the target may not go with the gun either, but the P38, as well as the P1 is known for good accuracy. It just takes a little getting used to the empty case being ejected over your left shoulder.
  • Options
    dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    november of 79 is when it was made

the thing that scares me is that we could be living in someone else's own reality