In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hardballer

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
I aquired an AMT Hardballer yesterday for $300.00...S/S with adjustable sites,adjustable trigger... I ran a few mags through it yesterday with no problems and liked it for the most part...Is this a good quality gun??? or is it prone to breakage and or problems???? Do any Colt .45 style parts fit other than Mag's??? I know AMT is no longer, but was curious of this model's "Track-Record"....Any info would be great, Thanks,

Ruric, NE OHIO

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I heard of a gun a Amt hardballer I think. I now they are a 45 acp but waht is so special about them.

God Guns and guts
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I built a comp gun on one of the frames of one of the AMT hardballers. The only 2 things that bug me about these is the ejector is made to the frame instead of being pinned. This means I can't change it without some machine work. The other thing is the odd width trigger they used. As long as you are happy with the factory trigger, it is not a problem. Most 1911 parts will fit these. The dimesions are not usually exactly the same as a Colt, but that is true of a lot of 1911s. At $300, I would say you are in good shape. I have seen some of these made into very accurated pistols.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank-you,

Ruric, NE OHIO
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll jump in on this, because I still own two, and used to own three. The Hardballer was the first widely produced stainless steel 1911-type that I am aware of. Mine have always functioned just fine. They originally came with a caution that they needed to be lubricated with a mixture of 30 wgt. motor oil and white lithium-based grease to prevent the moving parts from galling themselves, as the gun was constructed entirely out of one grade of stainless steel. I mixed some up, 1:3 oil:grease and have always used it. I found this to be a great lube, and use it in my shop for lots of gun lube applications. It appears not too different from the W.W.II/Korean War Lubriplate that came in the little plastic containers for storage in the M1 Garand buttstocks. Both of mine are very early production, S.N. A0xxx. In following years I sold several new Hardballers to customers, including a couple of longslide versions, and everyone seemed to be happy. I suggest you mix up some of the described lube and apply a thin coating to the portion of your barrel that runs through the barrel bushing and on the slide rails. Mine aren't for sale.