In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.243 accurate load

longbowhntrlongbowhntr Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited March 2005 in Ask the Experts
I shoot a .243 and use 70 grain Sierra boatails. Does anyone have an accurate light load for these bullets? What and how much powder?

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have had excellent results with Hodgdon Varget powder in the 243. Hodgdon list 38.0 grains as a starting load with a 70 grain bullet. I have no experiance with the one you are using, but had good results with a 70 grain Speer TNT.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After many years of reloading I have repeatedly found that the most accurate loading for a bullet/powder/case combo is at or near it fastest. Many reloading manuals (Sierra and Nosler for two)note this also. Next every barrel is different, this is often quoted but is still true. If you want to explore a lighter loading, back it off a grain and go to the range. Repeat as needed until you get the result you are looking for. A light loading would be a good idea for new shooters of small stature to begin with. Still the recoil of the 243 is not much to begin with. Good luck.....
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Be very careful of backing off the powder charge to much. Some of these powders do not like that and can go BOOOOOOOM if you persist in going to low on the charge.
    Powders like H4895 are not such a problem, and is often used for reduced loads !

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.