In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun Chambering Question

kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited March 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a 12 gage Remington 870 Express Super Magnum w/ 3 1/2" chamber. The manual says it will shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells as well as the 3 1/2 inch shells. I bought the gun for deer but would like to hunt dove with it this fall using 2 3/4" shells. Has anyone used this gun with 2 3/4" shells? How did it function? Is there any problem with residue build up in the chamber since the chamber is a full 3/4" longer than the 2 3/4 " shells? Thanks, KT

Comments

• Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    No problems at all. Blast away.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    havent shot that particular model, however my SBE is the same way, and you will have/should have ZERO problems shooting the different size shells...

"Not many like us, in fact very few, and most of them are dead" LtCol Pratt - USMC
  • Options
    AuggyAuggy Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Nova's like that as well. (3&1/2")

Had fun blasting doves this fall with 2&3/4" then moved onto waterfowl flawlessly.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    i've had a couple of these in the shop since last fall. they wouldn't extract 3 1/2" mags. chamber was carboned up from firing 2 3/4" ammo (a bunch) and then not cleaning before firing the 3 1/2". just clean before switching ammo and they'll work well.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shoot and enjoy.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    moss590moss590 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have the same gun and i put about 100 rnds of 2 3/4" in about 2 hrs at the range every week and i have no problems. keep 'er clean.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use an 870 express 12 magnum for doves. Hastings wadlock 36" barrel and improved cylinder. I have confirmed kills at 50+ yds. Just when they think there safe and straight away shots...[:)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is how they make them and the funny thing is, it works. Hope you do better on the doves than I ever did!
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several of the guys I shoot skeet with use it without incident. Emjoy.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.