In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

35 rem reloading

rjv140rjv140 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
i ended up getting that marlin 336a 35 remington now i want to start reloading for it becuase i dont feel like paying 15$ for 20 rounds im just wondering some loads you guys use with 200 grain heads

Comments

• Options
    rjv140rjv140 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from what i understand reloading for the 35 is pretty tricky and i am new at this i was told be very careful when resizing the case because if i do it wrong the head space can be wrong and the round will not fire can some one give me some advise how to do this the correct way.

also the dies are brand new can someone give me a good idea how to set them up the proper way because all my other dies were already set up for me.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First metalic cartridge I ever reloaded was the 35 Remington way back in
    1966 or such. Simply follow the instructions included with your dies (I have always used RCBS) and you should have no problems.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Ar eyou loading for a lever of a pump? For a lever I screw my dies in until it touches the shell holder, them back it off 1/2 to 1/4 of a turn. make sure your sized cases chamber easily before loading them.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rjv140,

I realize that you're probably really excited to get started reloading for your 35 Rem. but I would suggest backing off a little and getting prepared to reload properly and safely.

First get a couple of good reloading manuals and READ them. There is a huge amount of information in them other than recipes for reloading. The whole front of the book is usually about the reloading process with step-by-step instructions. Following these instruction can insure safe and enjoyable reloading from here on.

Check the internet as well and you can find additional reloading information and problem solving solutions. Read the books first since not all of the information on the internet is correct. Learn how to differentiate. Find a buddy that reloads and get him to sit down with you. If that's not possible, go to the local gun store and see if they can help locate someone who is an experienced reloader. Most reloaders are truly happy to assist someone new to reloading.

Remember that at any time in the reloading process, if something doesn't seem quite right, STOP and check everything before proceeding.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Loading for a 35 Remington is not any tricker than loading for anything else.
    You just have to make absolutely sure you do not set the shoulder back, and create that excessive headspace they talk about. A lot of the die set up depends on the type of action you will be using.
    If your using a TC, or any break open action you will want the case to go in the chamber with a definate snap to close it, or it will not usually go off as planned.
    A lever gun will be pretty much trail and error to get it right, but you still need that little bit of resistance.
    A bolt gun is a bit easier to do, as you can remove the guts from the bolt and feel the stripped bolt close down on a inserted case. The bolt will fall easily on a empty chamber, but you will feel a bit of resistance with a properly sized case. You will not be able to feel this with the bolt not stripped down.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.