In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Argentine bayonet

diembienphudiembienphu Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have an 1891 Argentine Engineer Carbine but the standard 1891 bayonet does not mount. Was there another bayonet for this carbine model? If anyone knows what bayonet fits this model, please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Give a discription of your bayonet....Does it have Brass or White Metal Grips? or does it have Wood Grips? Whats the Blade length, What side does the Locking Stud work from?...What is the Makers name...W.K.& C.?????I await your reply, and upon reciept will Cross referance against My Book...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Did You know that Argentina has had a number of 7.65mm Mauser Carbines in Service. For your information, the Model 1891 Carbine is stocked to the muzzle, has a 17.6 inch barrel and is 37 inches overall. There are two versions, one with a Bayonet Lug and one without!....There are FOUR common versions of the Model 1909 Carbine.
    The Cavalry carbine is stocked to the Muzzle, amd some have bayonet Lugs and others don't...
    The Engineer Carbine has a typical military stock and a bayonet stud which protudes horizonally from the upper band like that of the german Mauser 98...
    A carbine similar to the Engineer carbine, sometimes called the Mountain Carbine has a bayonet stud which protudes vertically in front and below the upper band...
    A large number of these guns have been converted into Sporters in Argentina...
    The Model 1891 Mauser is quite similar to the 7.65 M1890 Turkish Mauser. The M1909 Mauser is a slight modification of the German Gewehr Model 98.
    The Model 1891 Argentine has a 5-round, Single Column Box Magazine, and the M1909 Argentine has a 5-round Staggard Row Box Magazine...
    I've seen some of these Carbines that were Sporterized, and it appears someone has endeavored to re-convert them back to an as issued military guns and using the 98 Mauser Front Band with Bayonet lug!..If You have an original Carbine then your Bayonet should work on it....If Not, try using a Mauser Model 98 Bayonet....I believe that if it fits...then someone other than the Argentine Government made the conversion...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The Argentine 1891 Engineer's carbine takes a rather oddball bayonet, which is hard to find and expensive. It is a modified Remington 1878 Rolling Block bayonet, which the Argentines used before the Mauser. I don't often see them for sale, and when I do, they are generally in the $250 to $500 price range, in other words, worth at least as much as the gun. Too bad, other argentine bayonets can be had for about $50 to $75 for the 1891 and 1909 models.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf