In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope for .357 mag deer hunting

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Can someone please give me some info on a good scope for mounting on a .357 mag for deer hunting? 1.5x, 2x, 4x ???? Any help appresciated. Also, what would be a good load for hunting?

A. Golden
S&W .357 mag
S&W SW99 9mm
Desert Eagle .50AE
Springfield 1911 .45ACP
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Remington 11-87
Winchester 1892 44-40
Always looking for more!

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    first off let me say that if I was doing it , it would get a Bushnell holosight or some other form of reddot on it , simply because at the distance you will be using that 357mag the reddot will do a better job.

now if you just have to have a scope go with the lower power 1.5 , 2, with 4 would be the highest ,, with a 4x scope you will find it all most imposible to find a moving deer in it and if that deer is close all you are going to see is brown , the lower the power the more you can see

load use just about any of the 158 gr. or heavier soft point bullets or lead ,if you use lead just make sure you don't hunt with a cowboy type load , not enough vel.
  • Options
    agostinoagostino Member Posts: 414 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't specify a model number or barrel length for the S&W; I assume it's the one you want to scope. If the barrel is 6", I'd recommend the 1.5X or the 2X. You don't have a lot of range with that short a barrel, and I don't think you'd see much difference between those powers. For a long barrel, such as 8"+, I'd use at least a 4X because of the added range. If you were to acquire a .357 rifle, however, I'd recommend something like a 2 X 7 variable, again for the added range.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the lack of info...yes it is the S&W 686 with 6" barrel. Will probably keep my shooting within 75 yds since the .357 is not the most powerful hunting cartridge. I will look into the 1.5x or 2 x scopes in red dot. I've also been looking into the Winchester Partion Gold 180gr JHP (which according to the Winchester website is meant for whitetail hunting).

A. Golden
    S&W .357 mag
    S&W SW99 9mm
    Desert Eagle .50AE
    Springfield 1911 .45ACP
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Remington 11-87
    Winchester 1892 44-40
    Always looking for more!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my Colt Python Hunter, I found that the 2X Leupold on it work very well.

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for a red dot scope. I currently have a Tasco PPII on on my Colt Anaconda. I had a Leupold 2X on it before the PPII.

With my aging eyes, I am able to get on target more quickly for initial shots as well as follow up shots with the dot sight.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a NC STAR 2x20 on my 12" contender works good ,,,and use 125hp

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    jeronimojeronimo Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Savage striker in a 308 cal. with a 3x9 Burris posi-lock. Hunt on 3 power and sigh-in on 9. Great scope, you will not be disappointed! Jeronimo. Red Dot is also go way to go.
  • Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a leupold 2x on my dan wesson, great scope. I also shoot 200gr corbon out of it. Some guns don't like the 200gr, but you might want to check into 180gr. Corbon ammo is made almost strickly for hunting.