In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cerrosafe Cast/Muzzle

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I want to make a cast of the muzzle end of an old .32 Special; about the last inch of the barrel.
I'm use to making chamber casts; inserting a plug just beyond the chamber and then pushing the cast back out using a cleaning rod.
The rifle is a Win. Model 94 and I'd rather not remove the bolt (which would allow me to push the cast out from the rear) unless I have to.
Anyone have any suggesting on an easy way to pour and remove a muzzle cast?

Comments

• Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about making a loop out of wire/coathanger or something and run it all the way through the plug? Just pour the cerrosafe around it. That should work unless you have really serious pitting.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello Find a braided cable like used on lawn mowers fort the dead man bail or self propel unit . You should be able to pick a broken one fro,m a lawn mower repair shop they will have a ball on the end that should go down the bore . now thread the wire through a cleaning patch . Now using this wire like a bore snake feed it from the chamber end and bull the patch most the way up the bore pour in the cerrosafe and lat harden then pull the wire the rest of the way out. These braided wire Cables are very strong you can put a pair of vice grip on it to pull and then hit the vice grips with a hammer to break the cerrosafe loose from the bore.

Damn I think cussedemgun has a better idea
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, gentlemen.
    Think I'll go with the braided cable. May try a bicycle brake cable since I have those around. Worst it seems that could happen would be having to take the bolt out after all and driving from the rear. Pitting seems to be minimal and I don't really anticipate a problem.
    Thanks again,
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

Your local hardware/building supply store will have wood dowels in verious sizes. Select 1/4 inch & with the bolt closed, drop the dowell down the bore, mark at the muzzle, & cut 1/16 in. long.

Open the bolt, insert the dowell in the bore, using a cleaning patch, plug the bore on top of the dowell from the muzzle, & pour your plug.

When cool, close the bolt to remove.

WAH-LAH!

Jim