In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pro Mags

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Was lookin at buying some mags for my mini 14, and i ran across a deal for three 20rd mags for under $50. What are some of your opinions on promag and being used in a mini 14 which i hear are VERY picky on the aftermarket mags?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never had any good luck with Promags in any centerfire semi auto rifle. Various examples test in an AR-15 either fit too deeply, which meant that the bolt would not close without hammering the top of the magazine lips; after which the bolt closed fine--The magazine just would not feed, or it would not latch properly. On the flip side: Quite a few were too loose, which meant that feeding was unreliable and that the follower would not activate the bolt hold open. I don't have any Promag experience with Mini-14s, but I'd avoid them in an AR at all costs.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    You get what you pay for, that should give you a clue.

CDNN is having a weekend sale right now and has factory 20rd mags for $25/ea. Why risk your money on questionable mags for that little difference in price.

I will say I have some GSG-5 Pro Mags and they do work. I tried one since it was 1/2 the price of a factory one, when it worked I ordered a few more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice, and the tip on CDNN, first time hearing of the site, so far i like what i see.
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ordered some Mini 30 poly mags from Promag. When empty they would not stay in, when loaded they would not go in. That said promag's 10rd stainless work great.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mcaso
    When empty they would not stay in, when loaded they would not go in.

That was a problem ?[;)].

I suggest sticking with the Ruger factory high cap magazines, even though they are very pricey, at least they work. There is nothing more frustrating than shooting a rifle that is constantly jamming or failing to feed. The extra money spent on quality magazines will easily be worth the added costs when you sanity is involved!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When checking out CDNN, when it states new factory mags, are these RUGER factory mags?
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1, I agree, I had those Promags for my mini and sent them back after a few ftf's. The factory mags are the only way to go. Plus they make 30 round factory mags too now- they work great.quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    You get what you pay for, that should give you a clue.

CDNN is having a weekend sale right now and has factory 20rd mags for $25/ea. Why risk your money on questionable mags for that little difference in price.

I will say I have some GSG-5 Pro Mags and they do work. I tried one since it was 1/2 the price of a factory one, when it worked I ordered a few more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ordered 2 20 round mags from CDNN, i dont like the fact of a 30 round mag in these rifles with that thin of a barrel. Thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone.