In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 magnum

PredatorSniperPredatorSniper Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
i was wondering why the ruger 10/22 magnum was discontinued. is it a nice gun? will ruger start selling this gun again?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any recent news about the Ruger 10/22 Magnum? I noticed a topic in my Google search dated Feb/2007 that Ruger had discontinued this particular version of the 10/22. I have a 10/22 in .22LR but I was wondering about the .22 Mag. I found nothing recent and nothing on Ruger's website. [:(] [?][V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im looking at a ruger 10/22 magnum. I like the way it looks, but is it a mechanicly good operating rifle? Thanks for any input[8D]
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure why Ruger stopped making it. Suspect it had something to do with the beating that the receiver takes from the higher pressure mag rounds. Have heard some stories about them jamming. I have one and have found it to be surprisingly accurate. Have had a few cases where it didn't eject cleanly but not enough to consider it a significant problem. I'm keeping mine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you would think that Ruger would solve the " problems " that the gun has. i dont have the gun but im keeping my eye open. seems like it woud be a good varmint gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    anyone have any pics of this gun?
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the mag. receiver was steel; and not the alloy of the .22 rf version. True?
    If so, I can't believe that the .22 mag. round would be causing battering problems. Something else?
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 10/22 Magnum receiver is indeed made from steel. discontinuing it may have to do with the issues of people doing the 17 HMR conversion which Ruger itself was not successful at That is my guess, anyway). The conversion was the plan when I bought mine but it shot so well it stayed a 22 Magnum and I have never regretted it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG is that it was some lawyer driven perceived liability problem, that would cause them to curtail production. It could be something safety wise that could go wrong and cause injury in only very rare circumstances, but the manufacturer doesn't want to chance it, in front of a jury.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .17 conversion required a heavier recoil spring or bolt. People were just changing out the barrel. I have seen the buffer pin bent from the use of 17 HMR. The shooter would change the barrel back and send the gun back for warranty work. I suspect that if the 10-22 lr were intorduced today much the same would happen with the 17 mkII and Ruger might make the same decision.
  • Options
    CapnRobCapnRob Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 of them! Love 'em! Converted 1 to .17HMR with Green Mountain fluted bull barrel. Have fired hundreds of rounds without any problem but this post is making me wonder if I should change the buffer pin. Any suggestions from the pros?

Another I put a .22 mag Volquartzen fluted bull barrel on and the other 2 I left alone. Figured to use as trading material somewhere. Used Hogue over molded stocks for the conversions, very pleased with them. Here's a pic:

Mag10-22l.jpg

They should never have quit making them. It's a highly sought after rifle at gun shows.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CapnRob, any problems with the mags sticking in the Hogue stocks and if so, what did you do to correct it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    capnrob. wats the size of the scope u have on that gun? brand of scope?
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Are you wanting one or are you wanting a Ruger? There are a couple of aftermarket companies making receivers that you can build one on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well i want a ruger 10/22 magnum but they are discontinued