In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions about S&W 686

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

Trying to help a nephew with his 686 in 357 with a couple of things. He bought it cheap and broken. The main problem is that the cylinder wouldn't go easy into the frame and lock in place. The release button just wouldn't move to the rear. I removed the plate and everything inside appears to be in order. The end of the center rod just won't go into the hole. I tried making sure the extractor rod was screwed all the way in, out just a bit etc. When I installed just the rod & extractor, (that is without the yoke and cylinder), the release moved to the rear and the rod & extractor locked in place and could dryfire it. The extractor rod appears it be very slightly bent.

Anyone know if a slightly bent extractor rod would cause the problem or could it be something else? The cylinder has some good size gouges. Otherwise the gun is worth fixing. Could there be something else I should check or try?

The rear sight needs to be replaced. How is it removed? Cataog shows a couple of what I think are opening widths. Any recommendations? A catalog says a company has a scope mount available but the frame has to be factory drilled and tapped. Is this the 1 hole to hold the rear sight assembly to the frame?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    To be honest, I'm not sure if the bent extractor rod is your only problem. The 686 is a fine revolver, and would be worth sending it to the S&W factory for a complete going over. They will tell you everything it needs, and then your Nephew can decide if it's worth the money to repair.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Take the screw out of the rear sight and slide it to the rear. There is a "T" shaped screw that goes into a slot. You might have to adjust the sight up a bit to get it out. Does the rear sight have a round or square front to it? If it is square I might have one.
    Measure your extractor rod and center pin, I might have them.
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a S&W 629 with same cylinder problem and it was a bent yoke. I sent it back to S&W and they fixed it for little or nothing. The shipping is a pain in the A??
  • Options
    azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any good 'smith can drill/tap the revolvers top strap for the leupold scope mount base..no biggie. The small front hole to mount the sight is not used. Straightened two cranes/yokes on S&W rev this week...just find a 'smith that has the proper gauge and save the cost of shipping + repair. Yes, a bent ext. rod can create problems similar to what you describe...again, the same 'smith you find to work on the crane can do the ext rod. He will have $200+ in tools just to do this job correctly for you. Good luck to you.[:)]
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice.

I re-examined the yoke itself. I measured the distance between the yoke tube and the the bottom topstrap at the front and back. There'a about 2/100" difference in the measurements. Definately bent. Wouldn't be surprised if it was also to the left too. My guess is that the extractor rod loosened up just enough to cause it ti bind up, then the cylinder was turned the wrong way further backing out the extractor rod. Someone then took a hammer or mallet and whacked the cylinder until it opened up. Parts bent. There's a S&W authorized repair gunsmith in the area. Need to make the trip. the hammer treatment.I could have tightened up the extractor rod if I had the gun before