In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What it is?

JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
A friend dropped by to show me this:

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

The bore is roughly 9mm but I have not measured it. It appears to be smooth bore. I could find no marks identifying it other than what you can see both at the rear end of the barrel as well. My WAG is that it is an old fairly advanced, made at home, smooth bore, single shot center fire pistol. I told him I would post some pics and see if anyone recognized it, I also advised him to go home and scrub the bore really good and see if the rifling is just hidden from grime (I am almost certian this is not the case). I also informed him that if I am correct in what it is it is a big fine and jail time to own. If the consensus on here is I am right I will help him destroy it.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If the consensus on here is I am right I will help him destroy it.

Jeepflexin,

You could try to cut some rifling in that barrel, or, maybe, reline it with a rifled liner. That is a neat pistol. It would be a shame to destroy it.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG agrees with your WAG. If smoothbore, think it would be classed an an AOW IF it was made from scratch as a handgun. If not already registered, then is good for 10 yrs, all the spare cash you will ever have, and loss of your girlish laughter.

Lacking a REALLY deep body of salt water, or a steel mill melting furnace, a cutting torch comes to mind.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    First off I would delete all trace of this post as to pictures and write-up I suspect this is what you think it is and NOT legal to own. It might be a WW II capture pistol from the Pacific as this might be a crude attempt of the JAP. crest But I know no way to legally own it . You can get a permit for making things like this but I think yours would have to be on paper"registered" before the current law went into effect.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look very similar to examples handmade in S.E. Asia 1960s ---
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i agree to vietnam made the fellas that lived in the underground tunnel world would take any gun parts and cobble them to make a blaster
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do I see rifling on that 9mm flair gun?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeap...I see some rifling in that bore.....I won't throw a .45acp Liberator pistol in the melting pot because some one in DC says its
    an illegal item. It would have some rifling too.........bob
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree Vietnam, looks like a Caodai pistol, predating even the communist VC.
  • Options
    JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice and speculations. I passed this info on to my friend and he stopped by this morning with it and we spent a few minuted with a plasma cutter on it. Bottom line is it is nothing but a pile of * on the shop floor now.[xx(]

Seemed a shame to do it but I think the right choice was made. [:(]
  • Options
    25skinner25skinner Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if theres no ammo available for it then it's a toy ..other wise you should have welded the barrel shut