In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win 92

grumpy05grumpy05 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a Win 1892 sn 990838. Can anyone teel me the year of manufacture and the original caliber? It is now a 218 Bee but does not look correct.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    If its a 218 bee it aint correct.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proofhouse.com says the rifle was made in late 1927.
    Wiki says .218 Bee came out in 1938.

A .25-20 or .32-20 would have been a straightforward conversion to .218 Bee. Would Winchester have done the change? I dunno, Bert will when he comes by.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Grumpy,

Exactly how is the barrel marked? Can you post (or send me) a picture of the caliber stamp and the proof marks on the barrel?

My best guess on the DOM (based on the serial number) is late 1929 or early 1930,

Hawk is correct that the 218 Bee was introduced in 1938 (for the Model 65), and that converting an original Model 92 in 25-20 WCF or 32 WCF to teh 218 Bee is not a difficult task.
  • Options
    grumpy05grumpy05 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert.
    The barrel has no winchester markings on it. The cal making is in the normal place and says just 218 BEE. Under the forearm the serial number of the gun is stamped or rollmarked on the barrel. It is very uniform and does not appear to be hand stamped. In the Madis book on the last page of the 92 section a 218 is pictured with a SN of 982839 which is in the same range as this gun. I do not see any proof marks on the barrel.
    Thanks...
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpy05
    Bert.
    The barrel has no winchester markings on it. The cal making is in the normal place and says just 218 BEE. Under the forearm the serial number of the gun is stamped or rollmarked on the barrel. It is very uniform and does not appear to be hand stamped. In the Madis book on the last page of the 92 section a 218 is pictured with a SN of 982839 which is in the same range as this gun. I do not see any proof marks on the barrel.
    Thanks...

You do not have an original barrel (made by Winchester). Winchester marked all of their barrels, and during the timeframe your rifle was made, there would also be proof marks, and a date stamp on the bottom of the barrel.

Not all of the guns pictured in Madis' books are authentic or factory original.