In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.338 Lapua with Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 RZ 1000

4mr_marine4mr_marine Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
Good choice for scope?

I realize that most of the decision on purchasing a scope is personal preference, but I am wondering if these two are a good match. I recently purchased a Savage 110BA in .338 and are looking for a "tactical" scope to complete the package. I have been looking at the Zeiss and almost bought it yesterday, but something told me to wait and ask if this was a good "fit".

Comments

• 4mr_marine4mr_marine Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will primarily be using the combo for target shooting out to 1000+ but plan to Elk hunt with it also.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4mr_marine,

If that is the same Zeiss that I am thinking of, then yes it would be a good fit. Most likely a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56 would be in there too.

Make sure you mount it in good bases and rings...the Burris Tactical are the best bang for the buck., But I have used NightForce, and Badger Ordnance Bases and ring sets too.

Best
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

I agree with tsr1965. Keep us posted on how she performs.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4mr_marine,

Welcome to the Gunbroker forums!

Without knowing your experience with both long range shooting and long range rangefinding scopes it's pretty difficult to assess the fit for you. I suggest using the link below for the Zeiss web page which has some illustrations using the various reticles against big game and varmint backgrounds to see if they are at least a consideration.

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/3dc0003746ab21148525726200057786

Also be aware that this reticle is in the second plane which does not magnify with the increase in the power ring.

I think that this is also an MOA scope which is fine for most folks but I have switched to the MIL/MIL reticles now because of a change in competitions. The GAP reticle works best for me in the US Optics scopes.

Given the price, the Zeiss scopes are a reasonable option. Given the price, I suggest taking some time to do a better assessment to insure that you aren't disappointed.

Best.
  • 4mr_marine4mr_marine Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all greatly for the opinions. I have researched other scopes, NightForce, US Optics, and Premiere, all very nice scope that I would love to have, unfortunately my budget wont allow for a scope in that price range. I am somewhat torn between the Zeiss and a Leupold Mark 4. Honestly, I dont see myself shooting out passed 1000 yds (ability is just not there at this point) but I would really like good visibilty at all ranges out to 1K.