In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

So, I got this old double barrel pistol ...

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
... and that's about all I know.

A couple little old ladies from church found this in the barn ... property they inherited from their parents ... I know its not safe to shoot ... and the springs are pretty weak ... barrels are far from shiny [:)]

What have I (they) got ... is it worth anything? It seems to be a real gun, not a toy but maybe that's all it is ... If it's worth anything of consequence they think they want me to sell it and they're going to give the money to the church or something.

Any help?

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    most likely Spanish or south American PIN FIRE
    get yourself a zip lock bag and can of Kroil take off the grips if possible with out damage to screws wrap all areas of the pistol with paper towel wet the paper towel put Pistol in bag and add lots of kroil you want everything to stay wet let iot all set for a week then sctub with Chore boy brass pot scrubber and then burlap. do not use wire brush or ANY STEEL WOOL OF ANY KIND
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Known as a Garrucha pistol, popular in South America.
    Cheap, and in modern times less restricted ownership than revolvers or autos.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Everything i found searching for a Garrucha pistol seemed quite small ... this isn't a small pistol and thats my fault for not showing a relevant size, its about 9" long and the combined barrels are about 1"

I haven't found anything anything exactly like it there are several very close examples using the google image machine and it does seem to be a Spanish pinfire

Now finding a value of something in its poor condition with missing parts will be much easier!

P1010014.jpg

P1010012.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being it used, "Pinfire" cartridges would date it to no later than the early years of the 20th Century. All the Garrucha type pistols I have run a cross. Have been centerfire or rimfire.

My Adolf Frank catalog, that's dated 1911. Has a almost identical model pictured. It identified as being the Lefaucheux model. And shows it being available in 7, 9, or 12mm pinfire.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen ...
    I've heard of pin-guns but have never seen one and it never occurred to me that this is one ... thank you for all your help!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep- each cartridge has a firing pin that is part of the cartridge- the gun has none. All pinfires I have seen are metric. Agree with the Kroil and COPPER Chore-Boy method.

Value? Good for a shadow box for the wall. Just being old does not means it is valuable- or I would be worth a fortune! [:D]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is now a "decorator"; i.e., suitable for mounting on the wall of a new steak house with other reclaimed relics, for a "rustic" look.

If I had to give a SWAG, it would be in the $10-20 range.

Neal
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beauty and value being in the eye of the collector. True value could only be known in a auction. In its current condition. Even to a collector bids would be on the low end.

Agree with kroil soak and using soft material to clean. Brass, copper, plastic scrubbers including burlap to remove scale once loose.

Nice find. Be nice to the old girls if its going to the church![:o)]
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put it up for auction and I'll bid on it, assuming no unreasonable starting price.