In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LYMAN All Weather scope, period

GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
2.1/2 power period 50,s? The lens is yellow like a pair of shooting glasses. Is it possible this is factory or aged? Dates from 50's I believe as it was on a pre 64 Win 70. Any help? appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "All Weather" is a Alaskan, with weatherproof caps on the adjustment screws, and moisture proof internal adjustments. This is according to Stroebels scope book.

7/8" tube diameter. Made until 57.

It's would be worth good money. The yellow lens probably would be a negative though. Best place to check out their current fair market price, would be on flea bay. Lot of scopes show up there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info-,,so most likely there was never one made that way, I would assume.?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back then someone made a yellow scope lens for low light. I don't think I have ever seen scope lenses turn yellow, the glue in laminated elements causes Crazing, which gives you the effect of looking threw a chain link fence.

added I looked in my 1954 Shooter's Bible Lyman Alaskan All-Weather 2.5 was listed as $89 with the Lee Dot. No mention of a yellow lens.
    A standard Model 70 listed for $120.95.

Glue yellowing reference http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-135242.html
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has gone wrong, an Alaskan is worth having fixed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Way back then someone made a yellow scope lens for low light. I don't think I have ever seen scope lenses turn yellow, the glue in laminated elements causes Crazing, which gives you the effect of looking threw a chain link fence.

That's the thing,,it's not crazed,,it's actually pretty darn clear, with a post recticle and period Redfield rings.. It came off of a Win pre 64 model 70, but he owner has passed so couldn't the story. MAYBE? a factory low light from the past. Getting giddy if it is, but don't know where to look for more info than here. THANKS for the input.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

That's the thing,,it's not crazed,,it's actually pretty darn clear, with a post recticle and period Redfield rings.. It came off of a Win pre 64 model 70, but he owner has passed so couldn't the story. MAYBE? a factory low light from the past. Getting giddy if it is, but don't know where to look for more info than here. THANKS for the input.

Lyman had a number of different reticle options with the Alaskan's. Lee dots, cross hairs etc. But there was also a number of aftermarket optical outfits, that would also work on them. Stroebel doesn't note any colored lens among the options.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks charlie-appreciate it.