In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

suppressor

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a predetor .22 can that does not come apart,what is the best stuff to use to clean it,and to use to shoot it wet

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello.
    I've been tossing the idea around
    about buying a 22handgun and suppressing it.
    When I get appvd by the ATF, can I
    build my own or do I have to buy
    a store bought can?
    Also:
    1. Can I use this suppressor legally
    on other guns?
    2. Once I'm appvd ,is the paperwork
    good for more than one can?
    Thanks
    Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the ATF approves a person to own a suppressor, can that person
    build his own suppressor? Thanks.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes, after you have received an approved Form 1, you can build your own Suppressor. You can build any National Firearms Act weapon, with the exception of machineguns.

The Suppressor is the registered item so yes, you can use it on any firearm you wish.

No, each registration is separate, so a Form 1 must be individually approved for each build.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought about getting a suppressor for a AR-15 Tactical Solutions 22LR and decided against getting one bested on:

1. a review of decibel test reports for different brand suppressors' effectiveness varied quite a bit
    2. best suppressor for 22LR was still 4 dB greater than the sound intensity level of a Red Ryder BB gun which makes the suppressed 22 LR a little more than twice as loud as Red Ryder. (Note: +/- 3 dB ~ 2X / 1/2X)
    3. as an individual acquiring a suppressor, you're required to fill out a form complete with finger prints, passport photos, approval of your local CLEO, and pay $200
    4. I remember hunting with a Red Ryder BB gun and it was loud enough to scare the game away

One friend of mine uses a suppressor because he'd concerned about possible hearing loss while hunting. I get by with ear plugs.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the ? has been covered. Building a suppressor for rimfire is neither difficult or expensive BUT still requires a Form 1 TO BE FILED AND APPROVED PRIOR TO FINAL ASSEMBLY. You have to provide specific information about what you intend to build and the unique serial number you'll use.
    I did a Form 1 suppressor which works quite well on 22lr and 17 HMR. It's not as quiet on the 22 as a factory made but is quieter than the factory on a 17 HMR--one of those oddities of engineering. Cost less than $50(plus $200 for the stamp).
    As for the effectiveness of suppressors: a 22 CAN be quieter than a pellet rifle(maybe not quieter than a low powered BB gun)with the right ammo. My suppressed 10-22 is approx 1/2 as loud(personal perception)as my nitro-piston .177 pellet rifle.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Answering above:

1. Yes, once legally owned, you can swap suppressors between guns legally.

2. No, each suppressor needs its own paperwork and payment.

Yes, you can legally build your own suppressor if you fill out the paperwork FIRST, though building one as good as a good commercial one is tough. IE, getting small size, light weight, and baffle stack optimized isn't trivial.

quote:Originally posted by spirits
    I thought about getting a suppressor for a AR-15 Tactical Solutions 22LR and decided against getting one bested on:

1. a review of decibel test reports for different brand suppressors' effectiveness varied quite a bit
    2. best suppressor for 22LR was still 4 dB greater than the sound intensity level of a Red Ryder BB gun which makes the suppressed 22 LR a little more than twice as loud as Red Ryder. (Note: +/- 3 dB ~ 2X / 1/2X)
    3. as an individual acquiring a suppressor, you're required to fill out a form complete with finger prints, passport photos, approval of your local CLEO, and pay $200
    4. I remember hunting with a Red Ryder BB gun and it was loud enough to scare the game away

One friend of mine uses a suppressor because he'd concerned about possible hearing loss while hunting. I get by with ear plugs.

Not in any way disagreeing with above, I'd add a few things:

Suppressor testing isn't entirely standardized, and its, obviously, a huge marketing point for the suppressor manufacturers, who have tremendous incentive to "shade" the results. IMO, if that's what you care about, you should look at third party evaluations of these, not just the manufacturer published information. I'd add that there are other factors that are important too, including durability, weight, and ease of cleaning/parts replacement. 22LR suppressors tend to get clogged up, so these things are important.

Yes, they may be louder than the QUIETEST pellet guns, but suppressed .22s are damn quiet and certainly quieter than louder pellet guns (especially high velocity spring piston guns). You hear a very quiet "pop" and the action noise (if any), that's it.

With 40 grain 22 caliber bullets at 900 fps, suppressed .22 is still quite a bit more powerful than the most powerful conventional spring/piston, CO2, or pump-up airguns. For target shooting, maybe that doesn't matter, but if you're shooting at living things, it might.

The primer-only (eg Aguila colibri) 22LR rounds from a long barrelled rifle are effectively silent (you can hear the firing pin hit the primer, that's how quiet). They're not particularly accurate (especially at distance) nor powerful, but they're comparable to air-rifle in power, and for some applications, they're good (eg plinking, short-range pest control, etc). Much easier to get a few boxes of these than a suppressor. The box says you shouldn't fire these from rifles. . .you do so at your own risk, but I've done at least a few bricks through different rifles, and never had a round "stick".

CB rounds are a good bit more powerful, and make a SMALL "pop" but still pretty quiet from a rifle (NOT pistol).

Ordinary "subsonic" loads are relatively quiet from a long-barrelled rifle. NOT from a pistol, though.
  • Options
    edited November -1