In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 42?

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
The Blue Book states that prewar model 42s add 25% to value. Is a gun made in 1942 considered prewar. It also states that 2 1/2" chamber guns only, add 30%. In 1942 were they making both 2 1/2 and 3" chambers if so would you add both premiums to the value.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    1947 Gun, Solid Rib, Factory CYL Bore. Is this considered to be rarer than other chokes.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue book is either a bargain or wishful thinking IMHO. I'm think 42 is a war year, most of 41 was pre-war Dec. 7th.

Have you done the advanced search on completed auction for actual selling prices?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am thinking that Bert H can address any question, if you have a serial number in mind. He might even be able to tell you the serial number cutoff for pre war, and 2 1/2 inch chambers.

EDIT 1

quote:quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Model 42 serial number 51520 was the last one manufactured on September 19th, 1942.

I do not know precisely when Winchester discontinued the 2 1/2" chambered guns, but I seem to remember it was shortly after WW II.

Well how about that...you learned both things you were asking, plus an extra bonus, of the most likely exact date of manufacture. I think Bert H is just showing off, while on here looking for LC Smiths to use for tomato stakes...[:0][:0][:0]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In regards to Winchester firearms, production of most models was not halted for WW II until well into the year 1942. Therefore, those that were manufactured prior to the temporary cessation to support WW II are considered to be "pre-war". In the case of the Model 42, pre-war production halted on December 3rd, 1942 at serial number 52108.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The values in the Blue Book are mostly imaginary.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert I like direct/specific answers. My gun serial #515XX
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Model 42 serial number 51520 was the last one manufactured on September 19th, 1942.

I do not know precisely when Winchester discontinued the 2 1/2" chambered guns, but I seem to remember it was shortly after WW II.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Were 3" chambers offered pre-war so that they would have been making both chambers during the same time frame
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    Were 3" chambers offered pre-war so that they would have been making both chambers during the same time frame

Yes. The 3-inch chamber was offered almost immediately after production began. The vast majority of the Model 42 shotguns were made with the 3-inch chamber, which is why there is a premium value for those with the 2 1/2-inch chamber.