In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 Feed Problem

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
Have a RI compact 1911, It likes to jam rounds into feed ramp 1/4" below the pipe bevel... It's worse with HPs but, does it with ball too. I have polished ramp, and tried different mags.
I don't like how there's a space between the first and second round at the nose in the mags...gives round play to drop the nose when pushed out.?.All my mags show this when full.. but, it's not always the first round that fails to feed.

Anyone else have this problem???

Comments

• victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot my first 1911 (new Remington R-1) on Saturday for the first time and had a problem. When releasing the slide, there would occasionally be a jamb. Two makes of magazines were used. One Remington and the other unmarked. Feeding ramp was polished. Do I have an ammo (230 gr RN not crimped) or magazine problem? Pulling the slide back slightly and releasing it chambered the cartridge. I suspect it is a magazine problem.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's new it needs to be shot some to wear in. Try other ammo to see what it likes. Load your own to custom fit it to your pistol. Good magazines are worth the expense. Magazines lips can be tuned to feed properly.

Take the pistol apart clean and lube it. Look for burrs and bright spots on the working surfaces.

Added
    Shoot it more to break it in. Buy a good magazine, I have a least 5 fitted ones for anything that I have that takes a detachable magazine. Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick. Try other ammo.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually a feeding problem is the magazine lips not releasing the cartridge at the proper time. However, it could also be an extractor problem: (1) gripping the cartridge rim too tight, (2) extractor lip too long putting excessive pressure against the groove. Either condition would delay / stop the case rising up fully.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Your extractor may have too much tension.

Take the slide off and remove the barrel(bushing, recoil spring, guide rod/plug, etc.)

With the stripped slide upside down insert a loaded cartridge against the breachface and push into the chambered position and notice the amount of pressure it takes for the cartridge to move the extractor.

The extractor should loosely hold the cartridge in place when the slide is positioned in the horizontal position,,,,,,,,,

If the above is okay then remove the extractor and notice the curvature/bow along the length,,,,,,,if there is too much 'bow/tension' this will keep the cartridge/rim from positioning on the breach face correctly or not at all and causing the cartridge to want to nosedive or stovepipe........I'll look for an image to illustrate,,,,,,,

+1, Back in the 90's. I bought a new SA 9 X 23, with the same problem. Highly irate first time I shot it. Swapped it out for a Colt extractor . Problem went away.
  • big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New gun...run a minimum of 500 rds through it and then if problem continues follow others possible fixes, whom have posted to your question/concern about 45 ACP feeding problems
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    My question is: how are you releasing the slide?

Are you using the slide stop?

or

Are you releasing the slide by pulling it to the rear?

If you are/were using the 2nd method, if you don't let go of the slide and let the recoil spring to the work (at is closing the slide part way with your hand on the slide) you may be causing the mis-feed/jam.

Using the slide stop.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're really not defining the problem.
    Is the slide failing to go into battery or is the bullet hanging up on the feed ramp?
    How much of the cartridge is in the chamber when the jam occurs?
    Brownell has good hardened mags. Also Meggar mags who may be making them under the Brownell name.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    You're really not defining the problem.
    Is the slide failing to go into battery or is the bullet hanging up on the feed ramp?
    How much of the cartridge is in the chamber when the jam occurs?
    Brownell has good hardened mags. Also Meggar mags who may be making them under the Brownell name.

The 1st cartridge out of the magazine hangs up of the left side of the feed ramp and nothing is in the chamber. It is an occasional problem which is why it could be one brand of magazine used. Or it could be one of the other issues mentioned by others above.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Viewing the front of the mag, the feed lips need to be perfectly vertical. Many mags are soft. You should straighten the left lip if bent even slightly.
    I Dremel chamber entries using Cratex abrasive tips. All sharp edges including the chamber top are rounded and highly polished. If you can't do it have it done.
    Yours sounds like a mag problem.
    Chamber a top round in slow motion without releasing the slide.
    The round should smoothly chamber and the rim smoothly slide under the extractor. If that doesn't happen then work on the extractor per the previous post.
    Feed lips of 1911A1 Pistol, US Carbine and Thompson mag feed lips are unsupported so straightness is critical to proper feeding.