In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1907

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
How do you get the first bullet into the chamber? There is nothing on the outside of the gun to do anything with.--Called self loading.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just won a Winchester 1907 off GB. Good price and I'll be in the seller's city next weekend - with my C & R FFL, so no shipping and thanks to OR no sales tax.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/565517516

Can anyone venture a good opinion on whether the bluing is original? I'm inclined to say yes, but then again I'd like the answer to be yes. I think I can save the original wood but would be OK replacing if they're available.

I've picked up some spare parts from Numrich (springs, extractor) and reloading dies, .351 bullets from Grafs. I'm guessing tracking down brass (Jamison I guess) will be a challenge, everyone seems out now.

Does anyone know the threading/size for the tang sight filler screws and a source for a replacement buttplate?

I knew the gun and caliber would be a pit of a project, but since getting a 63 in 22 lr this has been on my list.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was hoping I could get some help from a Winchester expert. I have a first year production 1907 with what appears to be a factory installed Lyman 41 sight. The barrel dovetail is filled and doesn't appear to have ever had a leaf sight installed. Also, the serial number is stamped on the triggerguard. The bottom corner of the frame where the number is normally stamped is covered by the receiver sight. When I removed the sight to clean it, I found there was no serial number under it. My question is, would this add much to the value of the rifle and would it be worth getting a Cody letter for it?

thanks for any help, Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know a good web page that has how to take apart and clean this rifle? Any suggestions will help. I don't know a great deal about this rifle.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it was a well done re-finish. As beat as that wood is, there is likely no way the metal came through unscathed.

added If you don't any brass you could make them from 357 Max. and you can also swage bullets up or down to fit.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/160.htm
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to pee in your cheerios. But the condition of the wood and butt plate, doesn't match the metal. Unless some previous owner swapped out the furniture. Which don't make sense? My WAG is that it's been refinished.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought the same regarding the wood as compared to metal condition. The stamped printing looks good so if it is, for the price I'm OK with it. I guess I'll see if the wood can be cleaned, rehabed with Fairtrimmers, Vandehavens, Pilkingtons. Wood I can fiddle with, metal is beyond my abilities. I found a repro buttplate @ Brownells. Still nothing on brass. I guess I have an excuse to hit the gun show in Reno next month.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a nicely done re-finish. The tell tale photo was omitted, which on this model was would be of the proof marks, on the barrel and receiver, as there are not many screws on the receiver. Enjoy your shooter!