In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ammo question

gatorhidegatorhide Member Posts: 562 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
Ok, this may sound stupid, but I have never really understood the difference between .38 Special and .38 Special +P. I have had only a limited amount of experience with a .38 Special for starters. I guess I just need to know what the difference between the two is, does +P have to be shot through a "special" type of .38 revolver and can I shoot +P through a .357 revolver?

Thanks!

Comments

• gatorhidegatorhide Member Posts: 562 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between the new 30 AR ammo & the old 30 rem ammo ? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger PC 9, 9MM carbine.
    It is stamped 9X19MM. Can I shoot
    the 9MM NATO ( I was told its'
    9x18mm) or stay with the stuff
    marked LUGER? Thanks,
    jimbollinger@bellsouth.net
    edited November -1
    I know normally the cartridge is too short feed correctly, and doesn't have enough pressure to push the slide all the way back. However, if I were to load a single .380 one at a time into a magazine, would it function correctly in a 9mm? I ask because I have some +P+ .380 that I want to shoot, but doesn't want to risk damaging my carry gun which isn't rated for +P. Is it ok to shoot as long as you're using 1 round at a time, and not trying to cycle the mag through the gun?
    edited November -1
    HELLO I WAS CONSIDERING PUTTING A BACK SEAT GUN RACK IN MY TRUCK. THE THING IS I LIVE IN SOUTH TEXAS WHERE THE AVG. TEMP. IS 95-100 DEGREES WITH NEARLY 100% HUMIDITY. THEY SAY THAT THE HEAT INSIDE THE VEHICLES HERE GET AS HIGH AS 120 DEGREES( I HAVE NEVER CHECKED MYSELF). MY QUESTION IS THAT OF THE AMMO THAT I AM GOING TO KEEP FOR THE GUNS. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE HEAT IS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM. OH JUST INCASE YOU NEED TO KNOW THE FIRST GUN IS AN OLD REMINGTON MODEL 14 PUMP RIFLE IN .30 REMINGTON THE NEXT ONE IS A TAURUS 63 IN .22LR . THE GUNS ARE NOT GOING TO BE KEPT LOADED THEY EACH HAVE STOCK POUCHES IN WHERE TO KEEP THE AMMO. I JUST WANNA MAKE SURE THESE BULLETS DON'T START GOING OFF CASUE OF THE HEAT.
    edited November -1
    I received this e-mail from a cousin in Texas, I do all my own reloading so I really could only reply with reloading prices not off the shelf stuff. I know powder, primers, and the rest of my componants are outrageous but the limited use powder is new to me. Any info is appreciated.

likemhot

I keep hearing that ammo is going to cost 3 to 5 times as much and they
    are going to , or already are using power that will last only one year.
    Then the shell will not fire.
    edited November -1
    I have a question about a round that was brought to me, never seen it before and no one knows what it is. The caliber is 7.62X51 it has a Purple Tip which is the strange part about it. The really strange part is when it is fired at Armor plated steel, it goes straight though like the round does not even touch the metal, like a laser would do is the only way to describe it. It does not punch the surrounding metal out or anything like a normal AP round would do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Got in a bunch of ammo today. Including 12 rnds of 32 auto hollow point ammo. Loaded into R-P brass, with jacketed hollow points, they are filled with a dark solid resin. Not yellow not blue. Like a very dark solid tree sap color. Any ideas? Bruce
    edited November -1
    I have 9 boxes of .308 Winchester Western X Silvertips 180 gr expanding bullets. They were purchased by my father in 1967. Does this ammo have any collector value? I have fired 3 boxes and they all performed perfectly. I see empty boxes selling on EBAY for $10 each. Any help would be appreciated on value or where to put them up for sale.
    edited November -1
    Sorry if this is a dumb question. Came across some ammo, boxes are marked 7.7X54R. Individual says they are .303 Brit. Are they?
    edited November -1
    Is the .308 / 7.62x51 the same & safe to shoot out of any gun chambered in 308 or is it like the 223/5.56?
    edited November -1
    When comparing various types of handgun ammo, what is the significance of the "Muzzle Energy (Ft-lbs)" number? And is it generally better to have a higher or lower number?

"Gun control is not about guns; it's about control." "If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson."
    edited November -1
    last night was loading some rounds into a mag for my AR 15 & noticed there is quite a noticeable difference in length of the PMC ammo versus my Sellier & Bellet( maybe I spelled that correct) any way is this normal, both are stamped .223, they are both 55 grain fmj , just wanting to make sure I dont have any probs here.
    edited November -1
    Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this ammo. Is it any good or not.www.extremeshockusa.com

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
    edited November -1
    I have a box of about 1000 remington copper jacketed .22 shells.
    They have started to peel the copper coating off the bullet part of the cartridge. I think this happened because the were in a damp basement for a few months.

The bullets are flaking copper, and most will not load in a guns chamber.

Question?

What do I do with them????

Can I tumble them in my tumbler? probable not the smartest idea.

How would I dispose of them?

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    edited November -1
    just brought some wolf .223 ammo steel case is there any long term problem shooting this stuff? have a ar15. thanks for the help[:)]
    edited November -1
    I have a few rounds of WWII FMJ .45 auto ammo. The first type has "R" , "A" , "41" on the base. The second type is nickel colored case and has "E", "C" , "42" on it. Is this valuable collectable or just shooting surplus? (My father-in-law brought it back from the South Pacific).
    edited November -1
    Hi guys,

I just came across a whole bunch of ammo. I have a lot and looking to get rid of a few boxes of each. I can't seem to find it on the internet, and do not have the slightest clue what it runs for. Can someone help me out with the price range?

Federal Premium 38 special 158gr Nyclad
    Federal Premium 38 Special High Velocity (+P) Nycald
    Wincester Ranger 9mm Luger 147 gr. (law enforcement ammo)

Thanks,
    Rich
    edited November -1
    been looking at some of the different discount sites for
    ammo...need help on different terms used...

Berdan and Boxer prime???
    Corrosive and Non-Corrosive???

rick
    edited November -1
    Can someone give me the difference between Sellier@Belliot 7x57 and 7x57R ammo? I have bought a rifle that is configured with the 7x57R caliber, and I would like to get a couple of boxes to have, but would actually be putting the gun up and not firing it, as it is unfired now.

There are some 7x57 available on the auction side now.

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Sir,
    Is it safe to use +P ammo in a 9mm TZ72 (CZ72 clone).

Thank you
    Ernie
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know of good frangible lead free .380 ammo? Any links would be much appreciated. My employer requires lead free frangible ammo on their indoor range after someone complained to OSHA regarding lead levels. Now they normally supply the ammo when you are shooting the issued firearms, but I need to qualify with my .380 for a backup gun.
    edited November -1
    Hey Guy's I have a question about sighting in my Rem 700. It's chambered for .308 and I have two options available, I can get 240 Rounds of 155 Grain A-Max, or 168 Grain A-Max. I've put in an order for the 155 Gr. If the 168 Gr are better I can cancel the order. So I was just curious which you guys would recommend
    edited November -1
    Let me see, how to put the question. Is it true, that if you use one type of ammo for target, and a different ammo to hunt with that the weight should be the same For instance!! If you use 158 grain lead nose to practice with then you should use 158 grain jhp to hunt with. Is this correct? Seems to make sense, since both weights are equal so you should hit target in the same place, taken into consideration windage and elevation. Thank you for any information.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30 Remington was Remingtons answer to the 30-30. It is roughly the same dimension/performance but rimless.
    The 30 Remington AR is a short and fat case that will fit in a standard AR-15 size magazine.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that the ammo a firearm will accept is dictated by the length of the action. The AR-15 action will not accept any cartridge longer than the 5.56mm / .223. So any new cartridge for the AR action must meet that criteria. The older .30 cal. cartridges are too long for the AR action.