In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ArmaLite AR-7 Value Brown

klemsontigers7klemsontigers7 Member Posts: 11
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up this AR-7 with brown stock. I was told it's a 1967 model and serial number confirms this is most likely correct. I got a great deal and from what I've seen this are worth a decent amount. I don't think I'll sell it but would like to know what it's worth. There are signs of use but nothing out of the ordinary for a 50 year old Gun.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to do an advanced search on completed auctions to see what they really go for as opposed to asking prices. Start with signing up on the auction side.

added
    972 auctions listed for ar-7
    23 failed tries for $599 brown stock
    1 multi colored stock went for $350 I think, system kept crashing.

added 2 In the mid 70's a buddy had one. I'm don't remember who made it, but he carried extra firing pins in the magazine well in the stock. I think he got about a 100 pack per pin, perhaps 5 or 6 per brick. The sights were all that helpful for good grouping and I seemed to recall that it jammed a lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah I know, I've done that there just aren't a ton of them sold. The brown stock only sold for $355 without the rifle, and it wasn't even in great shape. I paid less than half of that for this entire Gun. I would like some serial number help, it's in the low low 50200s.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The last brown marble I had was about 8 years ago and I sold it on GB for $100. Had the Armalite marked barrel and everything.
    AR-7's just don't work that great unfortunately.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    The last brown marble I had was about 8 years ago and I sold it on GB for $100. Had the Armalite marked barrel and everything.
    AR-7's just don't work that great unfortunately.

+1, Had one of the later, Charter Arms Explorer II's. Didn't work when I got it, although it was almost 30 years old.

The early Costa Mesa AR-7's, probably have extra collector demand/value. After 50 years though. Only have run across one, of the mottled brown stock versions. In recent years, don't know what it sold for?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought this one here from one of the regular forum members a few years back. I think I paid around $300 for it at the time it is ser. num. 53075. Never shot it but I think it will make a great trainer for the grand kids. So it will probably be a bit before it gets shot.

MVC-AAAAARMALIT7.jpg
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I bought this one here from one of the regular forum members a few years back. I think I paid around $300 for it at the time it is ser. num. 53075. Never shot it but I think it will make a great trainer for the grand kids. So it will probably be a bit before it gets shot.
    MVC-AAAAARMALIT7.jpg

I suppose a jam-o-matic is almost as good as a single shot for young kids. Just have to watch them carefully while they clear the jams.
    The poor trigger will make it hard for them to learn to shoot properly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    MVC-AAAAARMALIT7.jpg

I suppose a jam-o-matic is almost as good as a single shot for young kids. Just have to watch them carefully while they clear the jams.
    The poor trigger will make it hard for them to learn to shoot properly.

Well I'll shoot it before I let them have a crack at it. If its to much I have other .22's they can shoot.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1

MVC-AAAAARMALIT7.jpg

Now that stock is much different from mine. Mime was like a brown marble with swirls of green and various shades of brown plastic in the stock, no paint.
    Yours appears to be of a solid almost red color. Is your barrel and magazine marked Armalite also? If not, that is probably toward the end of the Armalite production.
  • Options
    edited November -1

MVC-AAAAARMALIT7.jpg

Now that stock is much different from mine. Mime was like a brown marble with swirls of green and various shades of brown plastic in the stock, no paint.
    Yours appears to be of a solid almost red color. Is your barrel and magazine marked Armalite also? If not, that is probably toward the end of the Armalite production.

Receiver has Armalite logo and is marked AR-7 Explorer Patents Pending. Barrel is marked Armalite .22 Long Rifle. Magazine has no marking but that is not the only one I have. The others are buried in my magazine box.
  • Options
    edited November -1

MVC-AAAAARMALIT7.jpg

That's why I mentioned mine is the brown stock, not the swirl... Big difference. Also mine is a 5020x serial number.