In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 extended mag release issue..

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have had a Ruger 10/22 since I was 18 and it has never failed me. I don't ever recall it failing me even after not cleaning it for several thousand rounds.

My issues is I recently bought another 10/22 from a friend who bought it new. Its a heavy barreled rifle in a Hogue stock that has what I was told is a factory extended magazine release lever. Its the one where you push it forward and the magazine is supposed to come out. The lever itself looks like what I have researched to be correct, however my buddy and now I cannot get the magazines to drop free from the receiver. I took it all apart and cleaned it and put it back together but still once I get it into the stock the magazine will NOT come out with out me hitting the stock from the bottom to get it to drop. The mag release itself seems gritty and not smooth in movement.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this issue? thanks for your time!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Magazine is hanging up on something. If it is one of the black plastic ones. Clean it with alcohol. And coat it with the soapstone that welders us. To see if you can figure out where the high spot. that is causing it to hang up is.

Might consider changing out magazines also. Might find one,that doesn't hang up?

If the latch in the rifle is at fault? A black sharpie, or the soapstone might reveal the high spot. That's causing the hang up.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Solve two problems with one shot...Get yourself one of those Timney triggers with the under the trigger lever. You don't even have to take your hand of the pistol grip to release the magazine. Plus...you are getting one heck of a trigger, and bolt hold back. Yes they are a bit expensive, but if you buy one for one of your 10-22's, I will guarantee you, you will buy a second for the other one.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/timney-10/22-black-housing-replacement-trigger.aspx
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10-22 mags( especially the newer crop of rifles) don't usually "drop free". Some (like the latest one we have) require a finger be inserted into the ejection port to push mag out far enough to grip and pull.
    If you want "drop free", you'll have to enlarge the magazine area inletting. This may cause some mags to be too loose leading to feeding issues. Our solution was to swap an older stock so we didn't have to file on the "Anniversary issue" original stock.
    Due to the design of the rotary mag, there's no spring pressure to eject the mag and the weight of an empty mag is certainly not sufficient to initiate movement if there's any drag at all.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the same issue. The problem was the stock opening When I replaced the stock with a tapco the problem was solved.