In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Repaired Winchesters

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
Can somebody tell me if records were kept on guns that were returned to the factory for a repair? I usually back off a gun that the seller claims the gun had a factory modification and I have never seen one where they had any kind of proof something was done by the factory.

Comments

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Factory letters, at least on early guns like 1873s, often show returned to the factory and date or dates, but usually not what was done. Also guns with factory proof marks made before the date they were proof marking guns were usually returned to the factory.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only documentation that exists for returned & repaired Winchester firearms is in the factory warehouse ledger records (the same records the CFM uses to create a factory letter). Accordingly, only those models that can be lettered can be checked for a Return & Repair (R&R).

In the vast majority of the entries that list a R&R, no information is given that describes what work was done. The R&R entry is simply a work order and date. So, what that really means, is that for 99.999% of the all collectable Winchesters firearms manufactured, no documentation exists to prove if a Winchester was returned, repaired, or reworked. The collector must make his/her own educated assessment of the claimed rework.

Now with that stated, in my limited personal experience, when a seller claims (or makes an excuse) that something that is outside of the normal is "factory" repaired, reworked, refinished, etc., that is very wishful thinking on their part. My advice... don't buy the gun![:0]
  • Options
    dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess that explains why I have never seen proof of a actual repair from the factory. I do not normally buy a gun that comes with a story of a factory replacement part or repair. I do have all my guns checked out by a gunsmith as I shoot every gun I buy with the exception of a NIB. He recently found one with a crack in the barrel and removed the forearm and the barrel had been brazed and painted to look like it was blued. The seller was aware of the crack but felt it was a factory repair, he did take the gun back.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for shooters.

Sad, but Bubba often does poor work.