In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 70 National Match

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if Winchester put any special care into the manufacture and assembly of Model 70 National Match or Target rifles? I've never read anything about how these rifles were assembled, but logically they must have received some special care, especially if buyers were shooters who would use these rifles for match purposes, expected an exacting degree of accuracy, and were willing to shell out extra money for a specialty factory gun? If treated differently than other Models 70, what were the differences? Just trying to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks.

Comments

• seewinseewin Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot say for sure, but believe that the bore dia, rifled dia(groove dia), and headspace was held to tighter tolerances on the various target models. I do know for a fact that their model 52 target rifles were held to much tighter tolerances than the other rimfire models, including the 52 Sporter. As an example, the Sporter version of the 52 was held to a tolerance of +.001" on the bore and groove dia. The Target versions were +.0005" and .0006" respectively. Headspace was held closer as well and required using 3 different thicknesses of bolt handles to select fit headspace to .045" +/- .001". The other rimfire sporting arms were allowed a tolerance of nearly double that of the 52.
    Winchester took a great deal of pride in the quality and accuracy of all their firearms, and were particularly proud of both their rimfire and centerfire target versions, which dominated the competition from inception up well into the 1960's.
    Steve
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M70 Target rifles had a specially fitted & polished trigger, stamped with a "t".