In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pricing a Savage 1861 Navy Model .36 "Figure 8"

TexasMaxTexasMax Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
I received as a gift a 'beautiful' Savage 1861 Navy Model .36 Caliber Percussion "figure 8" revolver and I'd like to sell it. Much as I love my guns, I'm not a collector and this gun has very little sentimental value. Generic details and photos:
http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/savage1861/usarevpage_savage.htm

Unfortunately the loading lever assembly is missing although otherwise the gun is in good / very good shape. I realize the missing assembly considerably devalues the gun even if I purchase a recently fabricated stock replacement assembly.

Should I post it as-is and hope for the best or is it worth the approximately $170 investment to purchase and include a stock replacement assembly?

Any suggestions on what I should price it at, either with or without a replacement assembly?

Thanks very much!

Max

Comments

• Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be interested in it as it is, I wouldn't want modern parts installed on it. Let us know if you list it on the auction side.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would list it as is with a note referring to the repro part. Investing more money in something you are going to sell is usually not a paying proposition. Investing labor and or original parts that you had on hand might be ok.

added so google found one that appears to be 100% original and in good condition, matching # and fully functional that sold for $1200 5 years ago. 20,000 made. I would consider starting the auction at $500.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Knifecollector
    I would be interested in it as it is, I wouldn't want modern parts installed on it. Let us know if you list it on the auction side.

Thanks very much. Unless it's prohibited by site rules, please give me an idea of what you might be interested in paying. Seeing as how you're my first interested party, here's your chance to set the bar. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I would list it as is with a note referring to the repro part. Investing more money in something you are going to sell is usually not a paying proposition. Investing labor and or original parts that you had on hand might be ok.

Indeed. Thank you, sir.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

added so google found one that appears to be 100% original and in good condition, matching # and fully functional that sold for $1200 5 years ago. 20,000 made. I would consider starting the auction at $500.

Charlie, thank you for the update. I was hoping to get $800 but that's good information to have.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TexasMax
    quote:Originally posted by Knifecollector

Thanks very much. Unless it's prohibited by site rules, please give me an idea of what you might be interested in paying. Seeing as how you're my first interested party, here's your chance to set the bar. [:)]

Yes, offers to sell are prohibited in the Forums.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. Newbie ignorance is no excuse. My apologies.

I'd still appreciate any advice on valuation. Thanks.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    If the link you provided is your revolver or a representative picture, your Savage is NOT a "Figure 8" revolver. These are often confused with the Savage "Ring Trigger" revolver. Less than 1,000 "Figure 8" revolvers were produced and are quite scarce.

Look at the pics below. The top pic is a genuine "Figure 8" model. The bottom pic is the more common "Ring Trigger" revolver.

30451x5.jpg

19847719_2.jpg?v=8D14AC39D5CBF90
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    If the link you provided is your revolver or a representative picture, your Savage is NOT a "Figure 8" revolver. These are often confused with the Savage "Ring Trigger" revolver. Less than 1,000 "Figure 8" revolvers were produced and are quite scarce.

Thank you, sir. You are correct. Once again, nothing like joining a new forum to discover how unlimited my lack of knowledge can be.
    Any idea where I can get a better idea of what my starting asking price should be? I shot quite a few photos this morning and am ready to post that one. Thanks very much.
  • Options
    edited November -1