In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SIG 239 slide question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have a stripped sig 239 slide Im selling and assumed the 9mm and 40 would be the same? thing is I don't know what cal. this is for? can I just measure the opening? if so , anyone know what it would be for the 9 or .40? don't have a set of mics. just a tape. any help? thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask Sig what that frame serial # was made as/for.

http://www.sigsauer.com/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no number on it?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The head size difference between 9mm and 40 S & W. Isn't that much,less than 1/32 of a inch. Tape isn't going to work. To measure that small a difference, your going to need a dial caliper. With I.D. measuring jaws.

9mm is .390 +/- .005. 40 S & W is .415 +/- .005.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks ruff, red
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If the slide still has the extractor installed and you have a 9mm and or a 40 Loaded cartridge just slide the cartridge up the face of the slide if it is a 9mm slide the 40 will be very hard to slide the cartridge under the extractor hook and if the slide is a 40 a 9mm case will fall out on it's own weight
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or you can measure from the firing pin hole to the bottom of the extractor cut, it should be half the diameter of the case head +/-.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    had it measured at .550 which is way too small for the .357 and my gunsmith tried a 40 cal. barrel from a 226 and was too large, so assuming 9mm?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redman.com1
    had it measured at .550 which is way too small for the .357 and my gunsmith tried a 40 cal. barrel from a 226 and was too large, so assuming 9mm?

If you were referring to outside diameters of the barrel? In your original post? I misunderstood you. Thought you meant breech face dimensions.

Can't help with Sig. But a 40 S & W. Model G 27 Glock, has a .590 diameter barrel at the muzzle. This pistol has also the ability of using .357 Sig, and 9mm Luger chambered barrels.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I misunderstood,as well. I have both the .357 and .40 barrels for my P-239 they measure .550 OD. I don't have a 9mm to check, but wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I regularly swap barrels in my P239 and shoot 9MM, .357 Sig and .40 S&W with the same slide. I think your slide will work with any of the three calibers.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.