In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading 38 special

odinsonodinson Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hey can somebody help? I am reloading 38 special with w231. The powder at 4.3 grains comes almost to the mouth of the case. Is that right?

Comments

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that sounds right according to the reloading info below, alot of winchester powders are compressed loads.

http://www.wwpowder.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    231 is one of the fastest burning powders. It has a very low volume to weight ratio. Coming almost to the top of a 38 special cartridge case. Doesn't seem correct to me, for 4.3 grains.

I would cease, until you can weigh the load with a accurate powder scale.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That isn't even close to being 'right'.

Check, check again, then recheck. Your scale is off!!!!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4.3 grains of 231 might be a tight fit if your using .38 short colt brass. I agree with iceracerx, it doesn't sound right. I have used a lot of 231 over the years and 4.3 grains should not even come close to filling a .38 spl case.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stop! Stop! Stop!

Buy a scale. Learn to tell the difference between grains and grams.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked for my open can of W231 but didn't find it.

In a 38 Special it will be less than half full - meaning you could easily double charge a case with disastrous results.

Make sure your scale will zero. Check and see that what ever bullet you as loading 158 grain for example weighs about 158 gr on your scale. Make sure there is no static charge causing false readings.

Make sure its W231. Look at the powder on line or in your reloading manual and compare to what you have.

Grains apothecary (7000 to a pound) is not grams or cubic centimeters. The Lee dipper 0.5cc throws 5.4 gr and the 0.3cc throws 3.2 gr.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm betting that an empty .38 Special case holds 15 grains of 231, so you are at about 400% above where you think you are. Whatever you are doing, stop right now. Pull all of your bullets and dump the powder.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KABOOM !!!!
    It holds 16 grains of 231.
    You should own at least two reloading manuals.
    Also check loads on "handloads.com"
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load 3.8 grains of Win231 with a 125 cast LRNFP.

The powder in the case looks like it's not near enough to do anything.

Looks somewhere down around 1/4 or less full.

As others have stated something ain't right.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    That isn't even close to being 'right'.

Check, check again, then recheck. Your scale is off!!!!

Perhaps actually pulling the trigger on one of those bad boys explains the lack of recent response ......[:0]

Could be that leaving the balance weight one slot over (at 10 grains) then dialing the incremental up to 4.3 grains is the cause.