In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sighting in question

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have recently acquired a U.S. Model 1917 service rifle that I plan to use in my clubs 100 yard and 200 yard match.

It appears these rifles came out of the factory sighted in for two hundred yards. Would it make more sense for me to replace the front sight with a taller blade...sight it in for 100 yards, and then use the rear sight to adjust for 200 yards.

Or should I just leave the rifle alone and hold low at 100 yards....

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the rules to see if you can swap out sights or they need to be issue.

Most rules will let you paste on an aiming dot on your target.

Depends on your ammo too.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The battle sight is sighted for something around 500 yds! (I don't recall the exact distance--I'd have to look it up.) However, the ladder sight can be adjusted much lower and should get you on @ 100 and 200. At least it works that way with my Remington 1917.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    The battle sight is sighted for something around 500 yds! (I don't recall the exact distance--I'd have to look it up.) However, the ladder sight can be adjusted much lower and should get you on @ 100 and 200. At least it works that way with my Remington 1917.

Thanks! I'll try that..
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They all shoot high at 100. I believe most were sighted in at 300yds.

Years ago I bought several front sight kits from Springfield Sporters for my 1914 Enfield, 1917, and SMLEs. The sight kit has different heights.
    With these kits, I have managed to site my rifles dead on at 100 and use the rear site for greater distances.

Sights are interchangeable. For collectability purposes, you can keep the original site.

Have not personally checked SS in some time, but I suggest doing so. I do not know how to post a hyperlink on GB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    They all shoot high at 100. I believe most were sighted in at 300yds.

Years ago I bought several front sight kits from Springfield Sporters for my 1914 Enfield, 1917, and SMLEs. The sight kit has different heights.
    With these kits, I have managed to site my rifles dead on at 100 and use the rear site for greater distances.

Sights are interchangeable. For collectability purposes, you can keep the original site.

Have not personally checked SS in some time, but I suggest doing so. I do not know how to post a hyperlink on GB.

Thanks...I just order three blades...