In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weight of 870s?

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have been all over various sites, including Remingtons trying to find out the actual weight of a 12 gauge, 20 inch barrel, synthetic stock and a 20 gauge, 20 inch barrel, synthetic stock. Most weights are given in ranges such as between 7 and 8 pounds as an example. I am trying to determine the actual weight difference between identical 870s with the only difference being one is a 12, the other is a 20. I am having zero luck.

This has to do with the fact that I have trouble with shouldering a long gun since I have had shoulder problems. I am trying to find out exactly what the weight difference is.

Comments

• Options
    makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, I just weighed my Remington Wingmaster 20ga LW magnum with 21 inch vent rib remchoke barrel and it weighs in at an even 6 lbs. Compare that with my Remington Wingmaster 12ga with similar 21 inch vent rib remchoke barrel and that weights in at an even 6 1/2 lbs. Note: The 12ga is the older 2 3/4 inch receiver, while the 20ga has the 3 inch receiver. Only other difference is that the 12ga now has the cheaper Express wood, whereas the 20ga still has the beautiful walnut wood. So, in my situation, there is a half a pound weight loss between the two guns... and guess which one I pick up when I go out on an all day grouse hunt... yupper, the 20ga. That 1/2 lb weight loss is amazing and very noticeable after a couple of hours of walking grouse trails.
    I think synthetic stocks versus wood stocks are about the same, weight-wise. Hope this info helps you in your decision making process.
    Sorry about the poor pics. The captions are what were important, though. Later, Roland

Remington12gavs20gaweight_zps6dd3c37d.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not exactly sure what your goal is but IMHO the way the gun fits you and the type and size of the recoil pad are as important as weight of the gun and shells.

I can stand way more rounds in my pistol gripped 20 in 870 with the extended mag full than I can take with the 30 inch regular shoulder fired one. My usual load is 3 3/4 DE 1 1/4 oz. of whatever.