In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Strange Weatherby Mark V Deluxe???

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
Today at the gun show, a dealer had a Mark V Deluxe in .257 WBY with a five digit S/N- 20xxx, a non-fluted bolt, a rocker safety just behind the bolt handle and no country of were made. It has the normal Mark V receiver with the 9 locking lugs and the 3 holes in the bolt. There is a circle with a capital T in the circle, were the "Made in" would be on the right side of the barrel. Not a Mauser auction. I'm thinking it is a very late South Gate or a early W. Germany. What I would like to know is, when made and were made?
Thanks for any and all info!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    U.S. law dating back to the 1890's. Requires manufactured goods to be marked with country of origin, if imported and sold in the States.

The only way that your rifle could have been made in Germany, is if it was privately purchased or imported through a gray market dealer. Even then it would have to have German commercial proof marks.

EDIT #1 There is a Finnish company that makes barrels, named Tikka. They have used a capitol T marking on some of there military barrels in the past. This photo off the net shows the marking on a W W II era M-N.

0141.jpg
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    After market barrel[?][?] . Maybe Nononsense will know which barrel maker used that LOGO.
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    circle with capital T inside, but no triangle. It also had factory stamping on the left side of barrel
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some Weatherby Southgate barrels were made by Timken. I don't know what their logo is/was.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my-handyman,

The 'Circle T' mark is indeed from Timken. The date will have to be derived from the serial number and a Weatherby expert. Surely there is a list on the internet.

Best.