In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

35 Rem

kit carsonkit carson Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am having to sell a model 14A Remington in 35 Rem. caliber. It was handed down in my family and I got it in 1968. In think sentimental value is clouding my value. It has minor surface pitting from being gun cased except for cleaning 1 time a year. The action is VERY smooth. It also has some notches on the butt from bucks killed. Any value opinions would be greatly appreciated. The serial # is C 24298Thanx

Comments

• kit carsonkit carson Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there any other brass that can be used to make 35 Rem brass?
  • kit carsonkit carson Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have much experience with this caliber? I just picked one up locally for a decent price. Marlin 336. No cross bolt safety. Thin forearm. I really like the feel of the gun and Im a sucker for anything with a lever. I figured the 35 would have a lot more knowckdown power than the 30-30 but when I got home and compared the ballistics I was suprised to see how close they are in comparison. Anyone have any real world experience??? The larger diameter bullet has to deliver a more pwerful blow. When you figure in the reduced cost of the 30-30 ammo I probably would be better off sticking with that. Either way its a nice piece to add to the collection.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you want to? It's still plentiful and the price isn't out of sight if you look around a bit at shows or the auction side. About 6 months ago I picked up 100 for $15 at a show.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't it on the 25, 30 and 32 Rem case? Could be reworked down from 30-06 or just buy it

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=5966

added Hawk is correct the others are even smaller and yes its a lot of work to make them from 06.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, and not very easily, respectively, charlie.

It is an odd head diameter not used by anything else I can think of.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    6.5x54MS can be made from 35Rem, so it's possible the reverse is true, but generally 6.5x54MS is harder to come by then 35Rem.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kit carson,

As suggested, the 35 Remington brass cases are plentiful. Check for them on Midway's website, and scoop up a bunch. Anything that can be turned into the 35 Remington case, is much more expensive, and/or time consuming.

Almost any cartridge that can be made from the 35 Remington brass, except the 25, 30, and 32 Remington, can not be turned into 35 remington. All of the others, require removal of material, that cannot be added back on.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:It can, and has been made from 30-06 cases..
    The head would need to be swaged down to .453 diameter, trimmed to 1.92, and then full length sized in a 35 Remington die....
    The head detail, cannot be merely swaged down, as that would weaken the internal web. It has to be turned down, along with the rim/groove detail, in a lathe, by someone experienced enough to do so.

quote:You can NOT turn the 25, 30 or 32Rem cases into 35Rem brass (not to mention that those 3 are much more expensive than the 35 is). Going the other way, 35 into the others, is also not a practical conversion.
    The 3 share a .419(ish) rim and a .415(ish) base (ish being production tolerances), while the 35 has a .455 rim and a .453 base

I stand corrected. For some reason, I was thinking they were all based off the same case.

Best
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    It can, and has been made from 30-06 cases..
    The head would need to be swaged down to .453 diameter, trimmed to 1.92, and then full length sized in a 35 Remington die....
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

Almost any cartridge that can be made from the 35 Remington brass, except the 25, 30, and 32 Remington, can not be turned into 35 remington. All of the others, require removal of material, that cannot be added back on.

Best

You can NOT turn the 25, 30 or 32Rem cases into 35Rem brass (not to mention that those 3 are much more expensive than the 35 is). Going the other way, 35 into the others, is also not a practical conversion.
    The 3 share a .419(ish) rim and a .415(ish) base (ish being production tolerances), while the 35 has a .455 rim and a .453 base
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In addition to the 6.5 MS, 6.5 Carcano and 7.35 Carcano can be used. I believe but don't quote me on this- that 7.62X45 can also be used. But as all of those are harder to find than .35 Remington, why bother?

I have used 6.5 Carcano before; because I'm cheap, when one has a split neck I size down to .35 Remington without the expander, then trim and fireform.