In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Mk III

Farmall ihcFarmall ihc Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if the top half of the ruger mk III 22 pistol (barrel and reciever) is the same on the standard steel frame guns as on the plastic framed 22/45? My question is, are they interchangeable?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Farmall ihcFarmall ihc Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is anyone shooting a Ruger Mark 3?

I bought a new one last fall and have put about 3 to 4 thousand round thru it, so it should be thoroughly broken in. It is a beautiful gun and I am finally able to hit the bulls eye with it. The problem I'm having is that it is jamming all the time. I can't put a 10 round clip thru it without having it jamb. It is not cleanly ejecting the empty and the fresh round is catching the empty one. I'm wondering if this is just the nature of this gun or if there is something going one with mine that needs fixed.[:(!]
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Farmall ihc
    Can anyone tell me if the top half of the ruger mk III 22 pistol (barrel and reciever) is the same on the standard steel frame guns as on the plastic framed 22/45? My question is, are they interchangeable?

Thank you.

Yes -- generally. The 22/45 front latch point on the receiver/barrel assembly is "peened" slightly to fit snugly with the plastic frame. You will probably need to open the latch point slightly (removing a small amount of metal) if you want to fit a standard steel grip-frame assembly on a 22/45 upper. (I just fitted a 22/45 upper on my steel lower grip-frame as I wanted a shorter bull-barrel length not offered by Ruger. I used a small file to slowly remove the metal I needed to make it fit.)

If you're converting the other way -- that is, fitting a 22/45 plastic lower to a "regular" Mark III upper -- you may need to peen the front latch point (of the barrel/receiver) to achieve a snug fit.