In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Green Bay Gun Show & 1903?

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
Well I did go to my first gun show today. Wow was everything high! Last week I almost bought a new Baretta 92 S for $580 at Fleet Farm. The cheapest used one I found was $650 at the show! At the show used (some banged up pretty good) Mini-14s for $1300-$1500 I have seen on GB for below half that. ARs were out of sight. Worked hard looking for a deal, with none to be had. I did find a sportorized 1903 with a like new beautiful hunting stock, recoil pad, and swivels. Action is very smooth and looks in great shape. I worked hard to get the price down to $350. Old military 1903s were going for at least twice that. I am not a collector and just want to shoot a few rounds through it. Probably not worth $350 to most of you, but I fell in love with it and am very happy with my first cf rifle. Wife likes it too. I will try to post some pictures.
One question, may I shoot any 30-06 rounds through it? I bought it from a gun shop exhibitor (looked like a good dealer) at the show but forgot to ask.
Thanks for the advice yesterday on the use of a case. I bought it and walked right out of the show with it over my shoulder.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If the serial number is below the so called safe range for Springfield 1903s it is always a concern. Below 800K the receiver is questionable and not considered to be a completely safe, although many are fired daily without issues.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Glad you had a good time Only caveat is serial number of the 03 and heat treating on early guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Serial number appears to be 3263184.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tfitz54
    Serial number appears to be 3263184.

No sweat. Made by Remington in 1941.

EDIT #1, There is always the chance that the barrel was relined/rechambered to a different cartridge then 30-06. If the sporterization was done by a hobbyist for his own use. If your not absolutely sure it is chambered for 30-06? Might be prudent to take it to a qualified gunsmith, for inspection, headspace check and test firing.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,360 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:One question, may I shoot any 30-06 rounds through it? Yep, that's what she was made to fire.
  • Options
    itchy300itchy300 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the buy! I'd like to know how it shoots b/c I've been thinking about getting one myself.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 to Rufe-Snow's edit: Some of my sporter 1903's and 1903-A3's are no longer in the origional .30/06.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought it from a reputable gun shop and they told me it was the original 30-06 and still had lots of shooting left. It does not have a detachable magazine, which I thought they had. It has scope mounts on it and had sling swivels. I need to find a good scope and rings and I am ready to go. Thanks for all the help.