In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Mini 14 gas port bushing

lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
After 15 years of owning and shooting my stainless Mini 14, SN 182-xxxx 1980 mfg, I decided to add a bracket on the foregrip for a flashlight. After taking the handguard off I looked at the gas port and thought "that ought to be cleaned". Since the gas pipe was just kinda 'stuck' in I reached in with my fingers and pulled it out, then dis assembled the gas block itself from the rifle.
On reassembly, I couldn't figure out what kept the gas pipe in position and lined up with the hole in the barrel so (finally) I got around to looking at the exploded view. After reading all the cautions about NOT disassembling the gas block/port, I realized there was (I think) a bushing that fit in the hole in the barrel and extended into the gas pipe, thus holding the gas pipe securely and in position to vent gas vice rotating and shutting off gas flow.

Question:
1. Am I correct in my assumpton that there is something, gas port bushing, that goes partially in the barrel and partially in the gas pipe?
2. If I buy a $1.99 bushing, should I go ahead and replace the gas pipe at the same time?
3. Other than proper alignment and proper torque on the screws, is there anything else I should be aware of upon re-assembly?

I bought the gun used many years ago and have evidently been firing it (probably 400 or 500 rounds over 15 years) with never an issue (which is why it's never been disassembled, aint broke/don't fix).
Part of me wants to just put it back together and keep on trucking but I'm sure I would have problems if I do.

Thanks,

Dan R

Comments

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lcdrdanr

Question:
    1. Am I correct in my assumpton that there is something, gas port bushing, that goes partially in the barrel and partially in the gas pipe?
    2. If I buy a $1.99 bushing, should I go ahead and replace the gas pipe at the same time?
    3. Other than proper alignment and proper torque on the screws, is there anything else I should be aware of upon re-assembly?

Yes, there is a bushing. You might want to search around the area where you were working, Ruger has been reluctant to ship parts that need "factory fitting," so if you can find the bushing yourself, fixing it may be easier. (Aftermarket parts suppliers may have the bushing too, if you can't order one from Ruger.)

I wouldn't worry about the "piston" (I think that's what Ruger calls it, even though it is fixed); if it was working fine, it probably doesn't need replacement. It's not supposed to be any "tight" fit with the cylinder on the operating rod.

I'd degrease and use a little Loctite (blue, removable) on the threads of the screws holding the gas block in place and be careful to not over tighten them.
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. The 'piston' came out before the gas block was removed and I disassemble over a felt cloth so I'm sure the bushing was missing not misplaced.

Midway lists the bushing being available for $1.99 plus $8.00 shipping, handling, and special fee for small order. Makes me wish for the old days when Midway shipped everything for free (long sigh!)

I'll try Ruger after the New Year, see if they are more reasonable on shipping, if not at least I can stock up on some other small parts in the same order.

Dan R
  • deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    danr;
    My recently acquired old,steel mini 14 needed a piston and bushing. (I had a helluva time getting them out).
    The prices and shipping costs were 'nominal' from: Location Snap Shots Inc. Sainte Martine, Quebec, Canada 450.427.0052
    They are the Eastern Canadian Ruger parts people.
    I don't know if they ship to the U.S. but it's worth a call.
    They might answer in French but all you have to say is: "parl anglay sil vou pla" and they will switch to English or put an English speaker on.
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, that's good to know, I will give them a try.

Dan R