In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

$75 - $100 Scope?

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a $400 shooter 30-06 bolt action. I just plan on doing some target shooting, maybe occasional hunting. Can I get a good scope in the $75 - $100 range and if so what are your suggestions? I have never bought or owned a scope so what should I look for and know?
Thank you.

Comments

• golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pick yourself up a vintage Redfield
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should plan on spending as much for a scope as you did the rifle.

Cheap glass is JUNK. You will never know if the scope is holding zero or get the best performance from the rifle. The scope will fail at the time you need it the most.

You can get a decent Burris scope, the Fullfield line is quite good, I have four of them, for a good price, keep an eye on the auction side and you may even get a good used Signature for a decent price.

Other folks will recommend Nikon also, IIRC they were made by Burris.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    You do not need to spend as much on a scope as you do on a rifle, telling someone that you do is just nonsense. The Burris Fullfield II scopes are around $100.00 used, and are just fine:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324119025

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324119299

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324119755
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow bpost's reccommendation. Antything less, you are just pissing your hard earned dollars away. Not sure what you got for a rifle, but a good scope, can turn a "good shooter", into a great rifle.

m1aguy,

Those are nice finds. However, I will tell you, those are the exception. The Burris FullField II, is where I start, and have spent several thousand dollars on a rifle scope. I CAN, and WILL tell you, from EXPERIENCE, which you DO NOT seem to have, that bpost is 110% correct.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:Swift is a good buy for the money. This site has a number of scope snobs and they are very vocal.

Once you have been there, you know. Utill you do, then you will never see the crisp light...literally.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Nikon Prostaff isn't much above that.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Follow bpost's reccommendation. Antything less, you are just pissing your hard earned dollars away. Not sure what you got for a rifle, but a good scope, can turn a "good shooter", into a great rifle.

m1aguy,

Those are nice finds. However, I will tell you, those are the exception. The Burris FullField II, is where I start, and have spent several thousand dollars on a rifle scope. I CAN, and WILL tell you, from EXPERIENCE, which you DO NOT seem to have, that bpost is 110% correct.

+1 But I'd take a look at the Leatherwood Hi-Lux line as well great scopes for the money.

Best
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Depending on what sort of target shooting you're considering, you may be able to use a fixed power scope, which due to a lot of people changing over to variables, can be found in the used scope department of some gun stores. I'd stick with ones like Leupold that have readily available repair departments, sometimes covered by the lifetime warrantee. I prefer a fixed power since I don't have to worry about what power the scope is at- and one less concern is good.
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Here is a decent scope. It's a Pentax. I have 3 of them and all of them on my lever Action rifles. They have nice glass, and a lifetime warranty. I have never had a problem with Pentax scopes.
    Normally at retail they run on the average of around $120 -$130.

But if you have a Fleabay account here is a seller that deals in giant quantities of them he is able to offer them alot cheaper at $69.99 each. i just bought 2 more at this price. One was a 3x9x40 and the other a 4x12x44. his ebay listing explains alot more about the scopes. Here is the link to his listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130697891245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mauser54
    Here is a decent scope. It's a Pentax. I have 3 of them and all of them on my lever Action rifles. They have nice glass, and a lifetime warranty. I have never had a problem with Pentax scopes.
    Normally at retail they run on the average of around $120 -$130.

But if you have a Fleabay account here is a seller that deals in giant quantities of them he is able to offer them alot cheaper at $69.99 each. i just bought 2 more at this price. One was a 3x9x40 and the other a 4x12x44. his ebay listing explains alot more about the scopes. Here is the link to his listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130697891245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The decent Pentax scopes are made by Burris.[:)] Hard to go wrong with any scope that Burris made.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swift is a good buy for the money. This site has a number of scope snobs and they are very vocal.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, there's a LOT of scope snobs on here. You might look at Bushnell Banner or go a little better and get a Sightron S1. Both of these have given me good service. Stay away from the plastic "clam packed" scopes.
    Vintage Redfields are usually OK but cost as much or more than a new Banner and have zero warranty.