In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I NEED SOME INFO ON A COLT 357 REVOLVER

1878roberts1878roberts Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
ARE THERE ANY COLT HISTORIANS OR VERY HIGHLY KNOWLEDGABLE FOLKS THAT MAY BE ABLE TO GIVE ME SOME INFO? I HAVE A COLT 357.....NICKEL FINISH.....5IN BBL REVOLVER. I BEEN HEARING ALL KINDS OF CHATTER IT COULD BE WORTH SOME CASH. GUN IS IN 80-90% CONDITION. I THOUGHT IT WAS AN EARLY 357, BUT THE 50K SERIAL NUMBER IS POINTING TO A TROOPER. BLUE BOOK DOES NOT LIST A TROOPER WITH A 5IN BBL. ALSO.....THIS HAS A STAMP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE HANDLE(IN THE FRAME) OF "FHP" WITH A BADGE NUMBER. I AM GUESSING IT WAS A SERVICE WEAPON FOR THE FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE SOMETHING WORTH KEEPING OR SELLING TO A MORE SERIOUS COLLECTOR. MANY THANKS

Comments

• Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For sure it's worth keeping , any gun is !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS....FOR SURE THEY ARE WORTH KEEPING NOW WITH THE GUN BAN CRAP THEY WANT TO PUSH. IF YOU CAN HELP WITH ANY INFO ON THIS THOUGH....I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ITquote:Originally posted by oneoldsap
    For sure it's worth keeping , any gun is !
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nickel finish and FHP marking would be compatible due to the salt in the air of much of the state. Manufacturers would make custom models for large agencies that may not show up in references. S&W make a run of M-19's for the New Jersey State Police in the 70's with round butt frames. I was offered one of the overruns by Cheshire and Perez in CA, but didn't have the $125. You might check with HQ of the FHP maybe an old-timer will remember the type. I think that the Colt .357 became the Trooper in the 50's (and was offered in both 357 and 38 Spl) when the Python became their .357 flagship.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, O TELL ME THIS.....DOES COLT MEASURE THE BARREL FROM FRAME TO MUZZLE OR OVERALL LENGTH? OVERALL IT IS LIKE 4 15/16 AND FROM FRAME TO MUZZLE IT IS 3 15/16
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The standard way to measure revolver barrels is from the muzzle to the face of the cylinder where it meets the barrel.

The Colt .357 revolvers were only made in 4" & 6" barrels with blue finishes per the Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms. I suspect the owner had the barrel shortened to 5" and had it nickeled. If thats the case it's not a collectable. The "Three Fifty Seven" was a deluxe version of the Trooper and they were made from 1953 to 1961.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1878roberts
    OK, O TELL ME THIS.....DOES COLT MEASURE THE BARREL FROM FRAME TO MUZZLE OR OVERALL LENGTH? OVERALL IT IS LIKE 4 15/16 AND FROM FRAME TO MUZZLE IT IS 3 15/16

I would measure it from the front face of the cylinder, to the end of the barrel.

The Blue Book notes that the Trouper as well as the earlier Colt .357, were offered in Nickel finish.

Unless you can verify the FHP connection and badge number to a collector, it's not going to be a high dollar gun, IMHO. Nickeled handguns with with significant finish loss aren't hot sellers.

EDIT #1, I wouldn't pay any attention to some hot air merchant on the auction, jawboning his own stuff. Your going to have to go to the horses mouth and get a letter from Colt. It hopefully will verify the barrel length, and FHP connection.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, GOT THE 5 INCH MEASUREMENT THEN. FOUND ANOTHER OF THE SME GUN ON GB IN THE AUCTION LISTINGS. GUY WANT 1499 PLUS SHIPPING. ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE FHP BADGE NUMBER. HE CLAIMS ONLY 880 OF THESE "UNCATALOGED" GUNS WERE PRODUCED. ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS OR INPUT ON THAT CLAIM?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robert.... Can you post a pic of your gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GIVE ME A MINUTE TO GO TAKE ONE AND I WILL TRY TO POST A PIC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I THINK I NEED A PHOTO BUCKET ACCOUNT TO ADD PICS. EMAIL ME AT BOBSCUSTOMRODS@YAHOO.COM AND I WILL FOWARD YOU PICS