In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 38 Super Grips

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a set of correct grips for a 50's model Colt 1911 in 38 Super. I browsed the auction side and was not able to find any. I looked for Commercial, but wasn't sure if that was correct for the period. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT #1
Karl,
Thanks for the information.

EDIT #2
I just pulled the pistol out of the safe and the serial number on the frame is in the 125,000 range. Per the Colt DOM (David Madis) book I have from 1985, that serial range would be 1957 for the Super 38 model and Super Match .38. There is no "C" in the serial number, just eight numerical digits. It may not actually be classified as a "1911", but for all practical purposes, it is.
If anyone would be so kind as to provide a link to a pending auction, that would be of great benefit so I can ensure myself of making a correct purchase for the grips.

Thanks,

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    COLTWOOD plastic is what I remember but I sold all mt 38 supers I do have 2 1955 model LNIB 45acp and they both have COLTWOOD plastic grips. Be aware they will shrink if left off of the pistol frame for any length of time.

AARONNo harm in calling them 1911 just about everyone will accept that and your numbers only no alpha characters is correct. Later many models had one or more alpha characters 38 supers after 1969.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Goverment model Colt (I don't believe they were called a 1911) in .38 Super that was left to me by my Dad. The paper work in the box indicates he bought it in 1957. If it would help, I'll dig it out and check the grips.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the "plastic" Coltwood are correct for the 50's 38 Super; at least that is what came on my 1957 nickel one. I had to try a set of ivories and left those on for awhile, and later the Coltwoods had shrunk enough that they wouldn't go back. I've been told, but haven't tried it, that heating them (hair dryer) will allow them to expand again so they can be put back on.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Except for the recent World War I reproductions, no commercial Colt is properly identified as a Model of 1911. The last Model of 1911 was made in 1919.

Except for Gold Cups and commemoratives, Coltwood plastic stocks were used on all of the Post-War large-frame Model O automatics until 1970, when the sand-blasted wood stocks were use introduced.

As far as the shrinkage issue, it is the later, mostly-brown plastic stocks that tend to shrink. The early, highly-figured Coltwood stocks do not shrink.

Shrunken Coltwood stocks can be carefully heated and stretched back into shape. I use the oven and place the stocks on a pizza stone to better control the heat. I think a hair dryer either would not get the plastic hot enough, or would tend to melt the checkering points before the center got hot enough to be pliable.

Those Coltwood stocks that do shrink will shrink even on a pistol. The egg-shaped screw holes one sees on some sets is proof of that. The shrinking between the grip screw bushings tends to stretch the screw holes into an egg shape.