In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger No1 Trigger

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a few Ruger No1 rifles, none of which are in calibers I use for longer range target shooting, so the not so good trigger pull isn't an issue. However I just bought a No1 in 220 Swift and want a better trigger than factory. Any suggestions?

I don't want to do the Kepplinger. I've heard the Jard is fine but doesn't offer much better than a cleaned up factory trigger.

Is the Moyers still around? I can't seem to find it.

Can an older factory No1 trigger (3 screw) be used on a newly made No1?

I've done many "cleaning up" of triggers on 1911s, M1A, Mini 14, BHPs, Win 70 & SAA revolvers. With stones and "wet 'n dry" paper I'm pretty good and know my limitations. Can the current issue No1 trigger be stoned & polished?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    "Can the current issue No1 trigger be stoned & polished?"..........yes but.....only so far. you can get a 'good' hunting trigger. the best alterative I've seen is the Kepplinger. getting a #1 to shoot 'well' is a challenge
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can locate a Canjar they're excellent triggers. They do come up from time to time here and other auction sites
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher,

Here is a supplier for the T.L. Moyer's trigger:

http://eabco.com/Ruger05.html

The original No. 1 trigger in your rifle can be cleaned up but like most fixed position triggers, any change in the geometry or dimension of the parts will result in a dysfunctional trigger. Go slow and don't remove metal.

Best.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info - EABCO no longer carries the Moyers, but I did manage to grab the last "three screw" old model No 1 trigger that Numrich Arms had in stock so I'll proceed with that.

Fitting the old style No 1 trigger seems to me much like fitting a 1911 trigger - patience and very, very light on the metal work.