In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SxS shotgun-rifle conversion

itchy300itchy300 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I read an article one time about taking an old sxs shotgun and converting it to a sxs rifle. Has anyone on here done it or have any other info on the process?

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one done by H S Gunsmiths a number of years ago. If you are looking to have one done I would recommend them.

I had to have them first fit the extra barrel set I supplied, and then do the 45-70 conversion. Considering the gun I used, Universal Doublewing, it was money not wisely spent. But then again, it would be a shame to hack a Parker that way.

perry shooter makes a valid point, which is the reason I chose the Doublewing. Twin lug lockup and the Greener type third bite are reasuring.

quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Conversion to black powder cartridges is possible, regulating them is a terror.

I guess it depends upon your expectations.

The fellow that did mine made an eccentric that were threaded to fit the muzzle of each barrel insert. These were then turned to adjust regulation and then brazed to the inner wall of the original shotgun barrel.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen the pieces of several of Bubba's conversion's. The art work from the hot blood etching is chilling. Pick your donor gun carefully and select a cartridge that factory ammo stays in the safe operating pressures that the donor was designed for.
  • Options
    itchy300itchy300 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking about using a Winchester 23 as a donor.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by itchy300
    I was thinking about using a Winchester 23 as a donor.

Bert H., our Winchester guru here, has several L.C. Smith tomato stakes in his garden. You might be able to talk him into one...

Sorry Bert...couldn't help myself[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IF it were me I would look for a shot gun donor that would have more then a single bottom locking lug. Most rifle cartridges will have greater rearward thrust then shotguns. The locking system is very important.Something like a cross bolt would really help.