In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.38 S&W in a .357???

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I had an older topbreak .38 S&W that I sold. I have a box of ammo.

Can you shoot .38 S&W in a .357?
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 S&W case is .386 ahead of the rim. 38SP/357 is .379 ahead of the rim.
    357/38SP with correct chambers won't take the S&W case.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can not chamber a 38S&W in a 38 spl or 357mag, revolver. As stated.
    But you maybe able to chamber and fire 38S&W in a 38spl Uberti or other lever rifle.
    Of course why...for one box of ammo? you can load a 38spl to the same ballistics.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    .38 S&W will chamber in some revolvers, it depends on chamber dimenstions.....but it isn't a good idea. good gun show trading goods.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Simple answer...No.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I was sort of assuming that .38 s&w was like a short .38 and went on further to assume that since it was a stout revolver and had a rim ... Etc... Ad nausium... But you know what happens when RN assumes...you all set me straight Thanks. Hmmm I've got to think about a 5 k give a way...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Just after posting my comment I ran into a guy at the range who used a 357 carbide sizer to size 38 S%W brass to fit the 357 chamber. Used the expander and seater for the 38 S&W dies. Shot the reloads in his 357 revolver, seemed to work ok. Over the chono were moving at 700 fps. Only fair accuracy and I bet the 357 chamber had to be cleaned before you could put a 357 round back in the gun as I am sure the lead bullet bounced alittle before making the barrel. So what do I know, where there is a will almost always there is a way.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    FYI...I have shot 38 S&W in my 357, it fit in the chamber and of course it has no where near the pressure a 357 does.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 S&W is an old cartridge and not all of them are created equal. Some are smaller in diameter and will fit just fine in a 38 Special or 357 Magnum chamber. Some will be a tight fit and some will not enter at all. Add to that the differences in chambers and you can see that there is no pat answer to the question.

Ray
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you happen to have one, it will probably still work fine in one of those older Victory models that was "converted" from .38SW to .38 special after the war.

Here's mine. Gun looks to have been professionally converted, then nickle-plated. Cheesy plastic faux-stag grips were on there when I got it, but they have a certain crazy period charm..

DSCN0393.jpg