In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W M&P 9mm to 40?

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I know the answer regarding switching just the barrel is "no". However if I switch barrel, slide and recoil spring can I go from 9mm to 40 S&W on the same frame?

There's plenty of info on line going from 40 to 9 with just a barrel change (and just as much saying the same can't be done going 9 to 40) but nothing on switching out the whole topside and going from 9 to 40.

What would preclude switching out the entire slide assembly and going from 9 to 40? I'm in CA, getting an M&P is a challenge (and expensive) due to our "roster" requirement. Private sales go anywhere from $800.00 to $1,200.00 so about $250.00 for the 40 cal "upper" is pretty good.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If none of our folks can help. You might try the good people in the S & W forum.

Fairly recently, I learned a lot from them. Regarding a limey Victory Model, I had bought. The Victory Model thread went into great detail, on them. Some of the old timers on the forum, are kind of set in their ways though. Sometimes you have to cut them some slack. Separating the wheat from the chaff.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no pistol conversion expert, but am thinking the grip frame magazine combo likely won't work...different feed lips, body width...that 40 S&W magazine has to go through your 9mm frame and I'm guessing no est bueno.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More important question. Will the .40S&W magazine fit in the 9mm grip? Unless you're looking to make it a .404S&W single shot.

If the M&P can handle 9mm+P why bother with the upper swap?
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    If none of our folks can help. You might try the good people in the S & W forum.

Fairly recently, I learned a lot from them. Regarding a limey Victory Model, I had bought. The Victory Model thread went into great detail, on them. Some of the old timers on the forum, are kind of set in their ways though. Sometimes you have to cut them some slack. Separating the wheat from the chaff.

Well, they were nice .. this time.[;)]

A 40 slide and barrel are all that's needed, along with 40 S&W magazines. Even the recoil spring is the same. I plan to also get a 357 Sig barrel, it uses the same mags as the 40 S&W.

I'm hardly a plastic gun fan, but it is fun fiddling with caliber changes - like getting a new gun without dealing with CA waiting periods. I can skip them using C&R/COE exemption on a lot of guns, but conversions are a bit lighter on the wallet than buying older guns.