In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Burris Fastfire III vs. Nikon P-Tactical

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
Looking to replace the TruGlow Red Dot on my Ruger Mk. IV.
Works great. Just too bulky for my taste.
Looking at the Burris Fastfire III and the Nikon P-Tactical.
Interested if Y'all have had experience with either, or both of these sights.
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of the Burris's, One a III. It's small, light, and works OK. Can't beat the Burris warranty either.

But my first one, had a adjustable sized red dot, that I liked better. The 3's red dot is just a blob. OK for short pistol range distances. But over 25 yards forget it. For $175, not that good of a deal.

Got a line on a new one, called Dagger Defense. It has 4 reticles, including a 1 minute dot. Less than half the price of a III. Going to spring for one. To see how it compares to a III.
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have four of the fastfire 3's and I'm very pleased with them. Have them on 22 and 44 handguns and one on a shotgun and one on a crossbow. All work well, small and lite. Had an issue with one and called Burris, very good people to deal with. Sent it in and received a new one no problems. Highly recommend them myself. One thing I will add is if you wear glasses, the dot will be distorted or mine is anyway. All brands I tried were like that.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have several fastfire III's and have been trouble free.

Have no experience with that Nikon, but like the other Nikon scopes I have.

rufe, please keep us posted on the Dagger's when you find out more.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses.
    Looking at the Dagger Defense unit it looks enough like my TruGlow to make me wonder if they might be made by the same folks?
    The TruGlow performs beautifully but is just too big for my taste on a handgun. I suspect my reaction to the Dagger Defense would be the same.
    Unless someone comes up with bad news on the Nikon, I plan to try that and will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks, All! and Happy Trails,
    Rob
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another thumbs up for the Burris. I have three, on a .22 rifle, a TC Encore and on a Win 94 trapper in .45 Colt. Work for me to 100 yards. 2 MOA dot has not been a problem. Mine are Fastfire II, dot does not change size.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have FastFire II & III on Ruger 22/45(s) and they work great. Can even be holstered w/o being obnoxious. Never had a problem with "fuzzy dot" if the power level was appropriate for the lighting. We shoot the little pistols out to 150 yards using these dot sights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I have FastFire II & III on Ruger 22/45(s) and they work great. Can even be holstered w/o being obnoxious. Never had a problem with "fuzzy dot" if the power level was appropriate for the lighting. We shoot the little pistols out to 150 yards using these dot sights.

My #III, must be different than yours? It has a fixed sized dot, not like the #II. As the range increased, so does the size of the dot. Mounted on my 7.62 x 39 build. At anything past 50 yards, the dot turns into a red blob. Larger than the bull. OK if it was mounted on a 60 mm mortar. Sucks on a rifle, shooting at a bulls eye.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    " It has a fixed sized dot, not like the #II. "

Both my FF sights are 3 MOA
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by carbine100
    Have several fastfire III's and have been trouble free.

Have no experience with that Nikon, but like the other Nikon scopes I have.

rufe, please keep us posted on the Dagger's when you find out more.

Just got the DD, red dot sight this week. Mounted it on my AR, 7.62 X 39 build, and shot it today. Very happy with it. The reticules are much sharper than the Burris. And I like the green color ones, especially. Way better than the red blob on the Burris.

Granted, it's size wise, twice as big as the Burris. But I like it so much. Going to get another one to mount on my pistols. I have 2 Burris's. On Ruger 22/45 lite, and KelTec PMR 30. If the DD works a good on them, as on the AR? Going to get rid of the Burris's.