In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is a Good Concealed Carry Weapon?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
Could be a lot factors like weight,shape,caliber and magazine capacity.Then the next question would be if you carry in condition one or not.
Thanks

serf

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what you shoot best and feel most comfortable with, everyone is a little different and have their own choices. while others may laugh, A 22 may be best for one person, and others may not settle for anything less than a 45, don't think there is one perfect gun
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It needs to be at least a 5 round 38 Special or better IMHO. It better be 100 % reliable and you need to shoot it well because you are betting your life on it.

I have big hands, when I carried a 1911 it was loaded, hammer down in a shoulder rig or in the small of my back. I can thumb the hammer back as easily as flicking off the safety.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you carry in any other condition if it is not a revolver?
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Why would you carry in any other condition if it is not a revolver?

Saw how the Israel method video on jacking the action before firing and the American method keeping in one in the barrel . Safety over respond time is the question.

I remember that FBI guy dancing and flipping and throwing his gun out and firing recently.

serf
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no one answer as circumstances vary person to person. The prime factors are (1) reliability- it works EVERY TIME. Second, "carryability". A .44 Magnum that is home in the dresser because it was too big/ heavy to wear today is useless.

My personal choice for years was an alloy J frame S&W .38 Special. It is now a Ruger .380. The Ruger is DAO, and is carried with a round chambered. Your mileage may vary.

If you think you would always have the ability to draw AND rack the slide, I would contend you have never been attacked without warning, or that you are not actually in a self defense situation.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    European police forces routinely used the Walther PP in 32ACP for well over 50 years but went to larger calibers because the human body is a lot tougher than it used to be, I guess. Despite the suggestion of being outgunned, I still like my Walther.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you were disturbed by the FBI agent's negligent discharge (as I was), that's a good reason NOT to carry a Glock (or similar gun), especially in a zero retention holster. And, the gun didn't fire due to a mechanical problem, it fired because HE PULLED THE TRIGGER.

In previous polls, the Smith J-frame in .38 special generally won out by a big margin. I'd consider that first, but then see if you like something else better.

Neal
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lightweight J-frame S&W .38 Special +P is ideal for me. My 637 tucks in behind the hip and is very comfortable there. No shrouded hammer, DAO revolver for me. I want to have the option of a light trigger pull very accurate shot across a crowded room if need be.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first consideration, as above, it must work first time everytime, period. Mossad has done a fair amount of work with .22 lr Berettas and, if you can shoot one well and are confident with it, that may work. Most people say that the .380 is the minimum for self-defense, but that is as much conjecture as fact in a lot of opinions. After 37 years in law enforcement I have carried a wide variety of off-duty and/or backup guns. Today I either carry a Kahr PM-9, 9mm, or a Sig P-239, .357 Sig. Both are light, flat and have smooth triggers. They work for me. I would suggest going to a gun-range that rents handguns and trying a variety of possibles to see which works best for you. Then practice, practice, practice (preferably with a good instructor).
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Whatever you are confident and competent with. #11[:p]